Help it's not working?

VT Hunter

Reaction score
I built a trail Cam over the weekend. Thought I was all set but it doesn't work. I modified the Owl PF with a 3 conductor jack. The camera tested fine. All features work. The three wires when shorted make the cam fire.

I'm using a MS20 PIR. Modified according to plan with RS 5vdc reed relay and motion indicator light. Using a 6vdc Sony video camera battery. The PIR is working in that the indicator light lights up when there is motion in front of the PIR.

I'm using a 3 conductor plug to connect PIR with Cam. I shorted the two center contacts as indicated on plan and have the ground going to the outside.

One question is does the indicator light coming on prove that the reed relay is working?

Also shouldn't I detect contact on the plug using an Ohm meter between the ground and center when the relay is tripped? I don't.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
If your led is coming on when you wave you hand in front of  the P.I.R, and then resetting, it sounds like the relay/pir is working properly. I would look into the way you have the three wires coming from the camera wired to the "jack". Without anything plugged in, (using the camera in the "stand alone" mode) use an ohm-meter, nothing should be shorted together. Next, take the wires coming from the relay (the two wires used to plug into the camera) set the switches up as if you had the camera set up ready to use, while activating the motion sensor, use an ohm meter, and test across the two wires used to plug into the camera, you should get a momentary "short" across those two wires when the P.I.R is tripped. If all of this is working, the problem is the way you wired the 3 conductor female Jack. When you plug the relay side of the plug into the camera jack, you should measure a short across pins 5 & 6 and an open between 4, 5and6(combined). It sounds to me like two of the wires got crossed at the camera jack, or maybe the dpdt switch if you used one. Please post and let us know what you find out. It doesn't sound like that major of a problem.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom