Help Needed With Video Cam.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I just purchased a Sony CCD-TRV43 camcorder with nightshot to use on my video cam.  The problem I am having is that either this camera eats through the Infolithium batter, or I have a bad,old battery.  I am getting only about 1 hour of life without using the external LCD.  

Do any of you have any info of how long this battery should last?  It is the standard NP-F330 battery.  Also any of you currently using a cam similar to this?  I am trying to figure out how the control the power to the camera.  I was originally just going to leave it in standby mode and toggle the record button with a servo.  

However, I am curious as to how long the camera will have sufficient power to do this.  I dont see a good way to control the on/off switch because there is nothing to grab onto.  Plus is has a slider lock.  HELP????

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jaggermax,

I have a Sony CCD-TRV818 and it shows the operating power of the NP-F330 to be 130 minutes. The battery is brand new so your battery is probably going bad.  I have a FP-F950 that is supposed to last 12 hours but I only get 8 out of it.

I wired into mine and it wasn't easy.  The camera is fairly easy to take apart but the connector is a pain to solder to.  There is ribbon cable that connects to the premade switch.  This switch is the record and on/off button all in one.  If you follow this ribbon cable to the circuit board on the camera it is attache to a small dual sided surface mount connector.  I just soldered to the appropriate lands with 30 guage wire wrap wire.(only thing small enough) and then left out the screw right next to the surface mount and ran the small wires out this hole which is at the back of the camera.  I have one apart at my mom and dads house.  If I go home to get it I take some pictures of it and show you what I did.  Soldering to this small connector is not easy.
I use a servo to control the nighshot.  You might be able to use one to control the on/off by drill out the slider lock with a 4/40 or smaller tap and putting a small 4/40 screw in the hole.  I haven't looked into this yet but it might be possible.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Thanks Brian.  By the On/Off button, are you referring to the lock/standby switch located around the record button or the switch near the front of the cam that reads Camera/Off/VTR?  Right now, I just got my controller board to control the servo and am trying to rig up the servo so that it will first flip the switch from Lock to Standby and the proceed to contact the record button and turn it on.  That way I can eliminate another Futaba Servo.  May get tricky though.  Thanks.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jaggermax,

Yes that is the one.(On/Off)

Shoot by the time I get a picture of the inside you will have it working.

I like the idea of the servos to control it all without having to wire into it.

Does your camera have an IR port.  If so all you have to do I think is turn it on and off and the nightshot with the servos because I have the code for using an infrared LED to control the camera functions through the IR port on the camera.  I am not sure but I think the record on and off and zoom(not that you would need zoom) can be controlled through the IR port.  Let me check but I am almost positive on that.  This way all you need is the two servos and one IR LED to control all the functions and there will be no wiring into the camera for all the homebrewers out there.  I am pretty sure I have the IR protocal at home.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Great.  When you find it, email it to me.  Also, have you worked with LANC protocall before.  I have a Sony LANC protocall manual on order.  It will allow the funtions of the camera to be serially controller though the LANC jack located on the rear of the camera.  I will control everything but the nightshot  I was reading over the protocol on the internet and it seems fairly straight forward.  Thanks.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Great!  I will trade you a copy of the program for a copy of the manual if that is alright.  I will get the program from home and email it to you this weekend.

I think the program is in PicBasic Pro so it should be similar to your programming language you use now with the AVR.

Brian

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I got back from a  business trip to Rochester today and the manual still had not arrived.  I called them and they said it is back ordered for another 5 weeks!  I will let you know when I get it and get you a copy, opps, I mean a transcription..., yea, thats it, a transcription in my very own words because I would never infringe on the all important copyrighted material  

P.S.  I got the Futaba S3003 Servo activating the record button on my Sony using my controller board to communicate with it. It was way easier than I originally thought.  I just send thirty 2200us pulses to turn it all the way in the counter clockwise direction to turn the button on and the send thirty 200us pulses to turn it back to the original position.  Way Cool!  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 10:43 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jaggermax,

That is great.  I found the infrared stuff last night but I ran off and forgot it this morning on the way to work.  I got called in for a network problem last night for work at 1:00 AM and didn't get home again until 3:00AM.  Don't give up on me I will get it to you. I looked over somewhat and I think all the commands are there but I am not sure I haven't gone in great detail with it but it will save you a servo if it works.  I will hopefully send it to you tomorrow or maybe even today at lunch if I go home and get it.

Later

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom