Help on lab training for Richard P. in Las Vegas

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Richard P. from Las Vegas sent me this post about his new lab and wanting  info on training. I'm sure you peeps can help Richard out here. My buddy John has  the lab he speaks of so I'm not much help on the dog training info. Thanks.

=============================================

I was very interested in your photos of your dog. i also have a lab retriever who is about 5.5 months old and im very interested in finding out how i can train her to work for me in the field. most of my hunting is done here in southern nevada and as im sure you know there isnt alot of fields for birds and things mostly just desert.

I was wondering if perhaps you have done any hunting in these type of areas I live in and can tell me if what your dog is used to hunting in and then taking him to a location similair to mine does with his ability to work as well or not at all. and if you by chance know of a reputable breed trainer in hunting in my area or one who is creditable to training labs for areas like mine. also I thought your web page was great and I will continue to return to read more as you add it.

Richard P.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Richard P.

When I lived in Southern California I hunted the desert a lot with my Labrador for quail and cottontail.  His nose was very good for finding and flushing quail, and then retrieving them.  He wasn't all that good on flushing cottontail, but then I teamed him up with my Beagle, who flushed the rabbits, but then thought they were his to eat when they were down.  The Lab let him know they belonged to me, and before long the Beagle was retrieving rabbits to me just to get the praise himself, rather than let the Lab get the credit!  Maybe some of the So Cal folks on this board can steer you toward one of the versatile lab hunting trainers to help you train your Lab for a variety of game.  I'm on my 3rd Lab and 2nd Beagle now, and I'll always have a Lab -- you can't beat their loyalty and companionship.

foulshot

Reaction score
Richard P., I had the same question.  I have a 3 month old lab I'm ready to start working with.  My question is in the waterfowl section, with lots of good responses from the guys.  If I find anything I really like I'll post in the reviews forum.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom