Help on Shotgun Buying Please!

Caviel

Reaction score
Hey Guys!:wavin hello: Help me Please!

I've looked all over my area for a shotgun to use for hog hunting and i can never find a good selection. I am traveling to Texas :cowboy: on a roadtrip, while I'm there I want to purchase a shotgun. I can't spend too much, and it has to be 100-200 dollars (closer to the 100s :(). I don't want anything too fancy just something that will have success with hogs. I will even consider going to walmart !! Do you have any suggestions on which shotgun to buy/place to buy in Texas? One question that has always puzzled me is: Can I buy a shotgun in Texas, acquire it in the same day or 2 and bring it back to California without using a dealer? I've been looking and the law just isn't clear... anybody i can contact to ask? Please help me out.

Thank You Guys :smiley_you_rock_sig

Caviel

fishnhunt

Reaction score
For 100-200 your going to have to buy what they have available on the shelf...No new shotguns sell in that range. And no if your a CA resident (ie drivers license) you can't bring it back to california.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
They probably won't even sell to you, but might if you ship it to your favorite gun shop. If you have an FFL of theirs and they allow it.

$100-200 is going to mean a really cheap gun, and probably one that won't have a rifled barrel, which is necessary if you hunt in the A zone (copper). You would be better served to save your money and buy the right gun the first time. My advice would be an 870 express with the rifled barrel. Cost will be in the $350 range.

Caviel

Reaction score
You guys make sense... i looked up the FFL law last night before i came on here this morning:smiley_doh::(. Could anyone recommend any good gunshops in the bay area, Sacramento, or any other good place close by?

Thanks for your help guys i really appreciate it!

quailman

Reaction score
check out budsgushop.com you can find a good hog gun in that price range

barel74

Reaction score
Just curious, why a shotgun for pigs? Why not a rifle?

barel74

Reaction score
I'm not saying shotguns won't do the trick, (I'd like to see the hole a 10ga DB would put in a hog), but they really handcuff you distance wise. Just curious... thats all.

slanttop357

Reaction score
I'm not saying shotguns won't do the trick, (I'd like to see the hole a 10ga DB would put in a hog), but they really handcuff you distance wise. Just curious... thats all.
I hear ya WIN 7MM MAG thats my choice hay good luck this season be safe :shootin-rifle:

ltdann

Reaction score
Last time I tried to buy a firearm in TX they wouldn't do it because I had an out of state address.

It was funny, my mother in law was with me and said "what a load of crap!" I gave her the money, she gave it to the clerk, the clerk filled out the paperwork, the clerk gave her the shotgun, she handed it to me, we left the store, everyone was happy.

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
And who said MIL's were worthless ................

Mike C

Reaction score
From the first day of your post you have had time to find a shotgun here in California and fill out the paper work plus the waiting period. So whats the problem and why would you have to buy in Texas? Itdann is right in his post in what he says. My son lives in Texas and residents can buy and walk out the same day. If your are from Cal you would have to do the 10 day waiting period same as here in state.

trapperbr549

Reaction score
Well if it is so hard to buy a gun in Texas how come 90% of all the guns seized in Mexico come from there? I know it is true cause our president and NPR said it was.

Lives2Hunt

Reaction score
It might be a little late, but back in Nov. of 08 I bought a Rem. 870 Express, wood, nothing fancy, NEW!!!, for 259.99 with a 35 dollar mail in rebate from Remington, at a Sports Authority in Fresno, but would imagine any Sports Authority would have a similar deal that carried guns. SO I basically got a great gun that has been battle tested for yrs in the field for 225.00 or so. I bought two! AS for the out-a-state thing, as far as I knew, you could still essentially buy a gun out-a-state as long as it was a legal firearm for this state and you had it shipped to a a FFL in our state. Which ususally cost money for shipping then a 50-60 dollar "handling chage" so you never saved any real money 99 times out of 100. Thats the little I know, hopefully you got one and your loving it evertime you shoot it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom