HELP ON WHAT KIND OF GLUE TO USE

C

CAMO MAN

I AM USING A RADIO SHACK BLACK PLASTIC HOBBIE BOX AND AM GLUEING THE MS20 SENSOR TO IT ON THE FRONT OF BOX.. I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH FINDING A GLUE THAT WILL NOT BREAK OR PULL OUT.   I HAVE USED SILICON AND MODELING GLUE WITH NO LUCK. I HAD AN ACCIDIENT THIS AFTERNOON TRYING TO PUT A CAMERA OUT.  THE GLUE QUIT HOLDING AND THE SENSOR FELL OFF.  MAN I WAS 40 MILES AWAY FROM A REPLACEMENT CAMERA.  OH WELL I FIGURED I WOULD ASK THE CREW ON WHAT KIND OF GLUE ARE YOU ALL USING OTHER THAN SILICON. I NEED SOMETHING THAT WILL HOLD.  

THANKS STEVE.

gizz

Reaction score
Camo Man - I've been using RTV silicone successfully for a while now but did find that if I rough up the gluing surface a little it will stick better. Did you think of trying super glue? I haven't yet but am gonna pick some up next time in town. That stuff sticks to anything.

(Edited by gizz at 12:23 am on June 6, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
CamoMan

I have been using Automotive GOOP from Wal-Mart but it's backed up up with tape, since some said this glue is failing too.

On the Port Hole Covers (lens/flash) I cut 1-1/4" round holes and glue on the 2" round Glass pieces then use strips of Tape around the glass Margins as backup.

On the MS20, I use a 1-7/8" hole saw and make a hole at the Sensor Location in the enclosure.  I then saw off the front of the MS20 "Hood" so it will lay flat against the enclosure, on the inside, looking out the hole.  Then put 2, generous dabs of glue where the Sensor will sit against the enclosure and use Duct Tape to tape the Sensor to the Enclosure.

I got some "Rope Caulking" (perma-gum) at Wal-Mart, and roll some pieces (between my palms) and stick these around the hole and sensor, making a water tight seal.   I then use some Hobby Acrylic Paint (from Wally-World, naturally) ($1/bottle) to paint the Rope Caulk to match my camo pattern.

This Sensor attachment method seems to "Scrunch" down the pattern of the MS20 to about the right Tunnel Affect.....

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
a very good glue to use is made by 3m and is called weatherstripping glue. it can be had in yellow or black colors and sure is tough to beat when you want a weathertight seal.

this glue is a super duty contact sealant used in the automotive field for glueing on door weatherstips and moulding onto cars.

first put a coat onto each roughed up surface then let it get dry to the touch after this carefully align each piece and stick them together.
after this step you can use rtv silicone to further strengthen the bond and make it more watertight by applying the rtv around the edges.
in the automotive field a lot of users call this glue gorilla snot.....hehehe

Latest Posts

Top Bottom