Help......Please

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I recently bought a completed timer board from JoeD to put in a new cam I was working on. While I was at it, I bought a second chip, and planned on building my own board for it. That was three weeks ago, today, I am still having trouble with both units. The board that I bought completed, and installed in a new cam won't allow me to select timer modes, or view the event counter while in the "cam" mode, it works in the "led test" mode. But that is the least of my troubles!! I built a board for the second chip, and installed it in a perfectly good working cam, I put it in the field after some initial bench testing, and got a whole roll of film, with nothing on it, and pictures were about four per minute.  I brought the camera home with me, and ripped into it. It works perfectly with the timer board dis-connected. I am using an owl PF, RS 49-425, modified with Tinhorn's method of lifting one leg of r-14, jumpering to pin 4 of the small IC etc. etc....and also went with 4 AA's instead of the 9v... My camera is firing app. every 15 seconds, on its own, with nothing activating the P.I.R, infact, I dis-connected  the lead from the black speaker wire, wich is connected to pin #4 of JoeD's chip, and the camera still fires every 15 seconds, with nothing "tripping" pin #4.  I checked every solder connection on my board, and found nothing, but out of pure frustration, built a SECOND timer board, with a new board, and all new components, using the same chip. My SECOND board acts exactly like the first, it fires a picture every 15 seconds. So, am I missing something on the schematic and built the same mistake into the board twice, or could there be something wrong with the chip?????Please help, at this point I wish I would have just kept my cams as PLAIN JANE'S, they have never let me down, or given me one "false" picture in a year!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

davered1

Reaction score
Bob,

It probably IS NOT A BAD chip. I built 3 boards one night(VERY LATE) and when I put the chips in them not one of them worked right. I redid all of my siolder joints and got them working.

Try this first, disconnect your timer from the RS board(power wire, ground(common),and the trigger wire(pin#4)) Leave camera hooked up to timer board,using a 4.5 V power supply connect + and - wires to battery. After 1 minute or longer touch the wire coming from pin#4 to the - wire to ground out pin #4. does your camera fire? after time delay passes you should be able to do it again.

If it works then prob is in RS board somewhere,if not prob in the timer board?

Let me know how results

Dave

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Dave,

Both camera's are "firing" at will, I was testing out the unit that has the board built by JoeD, and that camera is doing the same thing. I am in the process of dis-connecting the timer from the PIR right now, I will let you know how I make out. Thanks.

UPDATE....I took the PIR out of the circuit..but, I also powered the circuit on it's own, with three AA's, I usually power the timer board with battery (-) and the + side of C2. Without the PIR hooked up, and triggering the wire that goes to pin #4 "manually", the timer board is working properly! So, is my problem the connection to pin #4? I know the PIR is working independant of the timer/camera, that is the first thing I tried. OR, is my problem the way I am powering JoeD's board using C2 for the 5V? Thanks again.

(Edited by h2obobh2o at 6:59 pm on July 1, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi H2,
I don't have an RS here to look at.... so are you POSITIVE!! that your're hooking the timer up to 5 volts??

Are the 4 "AA" batts fresh??  I don't know the specs off-hand for the RS voltage regulator... but a partially drained set of 4 "AA" batts could easily be below the regulators minimum input operating voltage.

Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
That's what I wanted you to do was power the timer with 4.5 V. That eliminates the timer chip. Go back to tinhorns mods and make sure everything is right. The MS20 board has a diode that you leave on when not using a timer and if you are using the timer you must remove it. This one diode that I forget just about every time has cost me a lot of grief. check for some thing like that.Then redo all your soldering joints,the timer chips are very fussy about ripples!!

Of course this is after you try ARCH's suggestions on the BATTERIES.Might be easier to hook a 9V just to make sure it isn't battery supply

dave

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Soldered everything back together (did not go over solder connections on board, I felt that I had already beat that dead horse), and instead of the 4 AA's, I put the original 9v battery back in place. Everything is working!!! I have a feeling it was the battery's, although none were reading to awfully low, I think the combination of powering the P.I.R and the timer, the P.I.R got flaky with the lower voltage. Thanks again gang!

davered1

Reaction score
As I found out tonight(different problem) the batteries can read Good when not under power, then if you measure under load it's a completely different story!!

Glad it's working,

Dave

Top Bottom