Help with a new scent

Cdad

Reaction score
Has anybody out there ever used James Valley Scents? I am trying it this year and they sent me a free sample of some gel called Wallhanger, they really brag their stuff up, and just wanted to check with some other hunters to get the real deal!

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about James Valley scents from guys that have used it. I tried it a few times but never saw any indication that it either helped or hindered my hunt. Like other scents though, it's just a matter of getting that scent to the right nose at the right time.

woodseye

Reaction score
I used wallhanger one year and it worked like most of the others I have tried.I find myself moving away from scents and more to being scent free myself. The scents don't work like they did 10 years ago or so. I don't know if its collection methods or deer getting wise to the extensive use of scents in the woods by hunters or just plain fraud on the part of deer lure companys,but they just don't work that well for me and sometimes spook or change deer travel patterns.I prefer to use buck tarsal and moving scrape dirt and licking branches.These are real and natural and don't seem to spook deer.

woods

marmot

Reaction score
Same here. Having tried most all scent brands through the years, with poor to mixed results, I'm going to try the synthetic scent this year. What they say about deterioration of natural scent, within hours, makes sense to me.

I bought a little mosquito chaser a few years ago that has a little fan in it and operates on a C battery. Replacing the mosquito repellent with deer scent should load the air with scent molecules, I will post my results later. I also bought the P Willy Wick.

The scent dispersal equipment will go into and out of the woods with me so the deer won't get use to it. I think that is the problem with the way most people use scent, they put it out and leave it out (scent drippers, mock scrapes, putting scent on trees and brush, etc.) so the deer get use to the smell and disregard it, where as they might have a curiosity about a new scent.

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
I have never heard of James Valley Scents!  I do know though that Lee's doe in Heat Scent has worked wonders for myself and others I know that have used it!  I don't know if you have ever seen it, its pretty low key and you can only get it during season, its collected weekly by a company in Michigan, and only distributed to local bow shops sporting good stores!  I get it from a little bow shop in Ann Arbor!

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
i HAVE USED THE JAMES VALLEY SCENTS WITH GREAT SUCCESS. i dont use anything but James Valley anymore . It works!!!! Period.. If you get it to the nose of buck he will probably come to it. Check out some 0of the posts in the gear review section on this forum. posted on James Valley last year sometime. Check it out. You will go away from the others.

Cdad

Reaction score
Swampfoot, thanks for the advice. Don't get me any more pumped up about the upcoming season,as it is I can hardly wait, the family can't wait either!! I am driving them nuts I think, T-31 and a wakeup!!!! It will be great this year, it's my daughters first deer season, been praticing with her alot with her 20 ga. I know there are alot of bucks in my area, I think the JVS is just what I need to draw them into bow range, I will keep you posted!!!

GIVEMTHEBLADE

Reaction score
cdad,

Let me know how that scent works!!!! I'm always willing to try something new!!!
Good luck!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom