Help with film developing, Where too?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I found a couple of old rolls of film at my mom's house. One is a plastic container marked KX-126, the other two are small rolls about the size of 35mm but not in a plastic container. One is marked "Verichrome Pan 127 film", the other is marked Kodacolor II film".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

photoj

Reaction score
"standard" 35mm film is designated 135 film. 126 film was a drop-in cartridge film developed by Kodak, my brain fails me at the moment on the 127 designation. But the 126/127 is the size of the film frame thus it's smaller than 35mm film (though it could use the same size roll film, just that each frame is smaller). Are these films in cartridge (a cartridge about 3.5" long by 1.25" high with a supply and take-up module) form or in single roll form?

The KX-126 is probably Kodachrome-X (color slide film) that cannot be developed by a normal photo lab, it needs to be developed in K-12 chemistry (look on the cartridge to see if it has the K-12 designation). Your local photofinishing lab should be able to send it out for K-12 processing, if they can't find a local professional photofinishing lab and they should be able to send it out.

Do not let them run Kodachrome film in their E-6 color slide film chemistry, it'll hose their entire machine chemistry and ruin every roll of film that follows it! No joke! They would have to clean-out the entire machine before loading up fresh E-6 chemistry.

Verichrome Pan 127 is 127-sized film which is Black & White. Any local lab that can do black & white film processing should be able to process it though the developing instructions may be a bit dated for them to find. I have them here if you need 'em.

Kodacolor II film is pretty modern stuff, it's Kodak color film from the 1980s. It uses normal C-41 chemistry (the same chemicals as your local 1 hr. quickie photo joint).

So, your color print Kodacolor II is no sweat to develop. C-41 chemistry

Your black & white Verichrome Pan will require a lab that develops normal black & white film. (note, some newer black & white film can be developed in C-41 chemistry, this IS NOT one of these films) If the lab you talk to know's what D-76 chemistry is then they can probably handle this film.

The color Kodachrome-X (if that's what it is) may be developed by sending it out.

When I get to work tomorrow I'll check on the film designations, I have some older Kodak books there...l'm a photojournalist.

If the film was exposed to heat/humidity then it will no doubt be subject to fogging due to heat damage and gamma rays, etc. Even if the film comes out fogged it can be scanned and cleaned up on a computer pretty well.

You can also get help from Kodak at:
Kodak Customer Service (800) 345-6973
or try emailing this person who helped me before
Voncylle Bellamy
Corporate Customer Relations
CORPCR@qualexphoto.com

(Edited by photoj at 6:19 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
PhotoJ >> Thanks. I haven't been back in here to check this post in a while. I have a lab I am going to drop by and ask them about it. I'm printing out your note to. I'll never remember everything you said.

Thanks,
Jerry

Latest Posts

Top Bottom