help with flash bleed problem

Tomo

Reaction score
Can't seem to get the cam to take a clean picture. I'm using the gaskets that came with the controller board but still no luck. Pictures look fine when snapped outside of the case. What tricks do you guys use?

Thanks,
Tomo

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Tomo are you using a clear plastic 1060 Pelican case?

also you have a inside picture of your setup I can pinpoint it for you them

Dan

Tomo

Reaction score
It is the clear plastic case. That doesn't sound good...

OBH...I appreceiate your help throughout this entire deal. You've really made it fun.

Thanks,
Tomo

I took the foam gasket off the flash hole because it only helped a little.

Attachments

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Tomo: I usually use a black plastic 1060 but from looking at your setup I would try using a second rubber gasket right on top of the first one. I had to do this one time because the pressure was not great enough to seal everything off.

Secondly, if that doesn't work it may be that the flash bleed is coming directly through the clear plastic case. I had this problem when I used a single piece of glass for both the lens and the flash openings. The flash "light" would being redirected sideways through the clear glass much like I suspect is happening with your clear case. Try removing the gasket and and either painting or using some black goop of stretchy electricians tape to seal off the clear plastic between the two openings. I know this is a pain because you have your opening glasses glued in place but this may be the only way to do it. You could work from the outside of the case and somehow darken the plastic edges that way.

Let us know if these ideas would work. Why not post a couple of pictures of your problem so we may see the results of the bleed and that may help us figure out what needs to be done.

Good luck.

Killet

Reaction score
I always paint a couple coats on the inside of the clear cases after I drill my holes. Unless you can isolate the shutter lens mounted to the case from the case I dont know how it wouldnt get flash bleed on the clear cases.

DOH just noticed you didnt use the liner for the case lid? Maybe try putting that in and see if you still have the problem? I would lay it over the lens and put your gasket between the liner and cam.

GL

Tomo

Reaction score
PaPaBob, I'll give that a try and will let you know the results. You can see the results of my current flash bleed problem here link

Killet - I never had a case liner with this one. I have ordered and received two more Pelican cases and they are both black and have foam glued to the inside top cover.

Thanks again guys,
Tomo

Killet

Reaction score
oops thats right, the liner is for the bottom, my mistake. I would paint the inside of the case with a couple coats of something flat, like a primer maybe. But I think your gonna have to seperate the lens you have glued to the case before painting it then reattach it with the paint between the lens and case lid. Otherwise the flash could get into the shutter lens.

Another thing I noticed is it looks like your using a long piece of glass for your shutter lens, I bet the flash is getting into that glass where the glass extends past your gasket. For a test try covering that glass, where it extends past your gasket, with electrical tape and take a couple pics. One thing I do to test for flash bleed is cover the outside of the flash hole in the case with electrical tape so the flash cant come out. Then close the case, have the cam turned on and ready to fire, take it in a very dark room and trip the sensor so it fires the flash. Watch for the flash thru the shutter opening and see if you can see it.

GL

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Tomo: I agree with Killet. I think the problem may be that long piece of glass(microsocope slide glass??) being used for the Lens glass. It is picking up flash "light" from the flash of the camera and bringing it in from the side. Like Killet says test it by covering it with tape or something to see if that is the problem. If it is you may be able to get away with just painting over the entire inside just as is without removing anything. This would include the rectangular lens glass also.

Good luck.

thehunter

Reaction score
As other members mentioned. I think that you may have a 2 fold problem.

#1.) You may be getting a flash bleed throught the elongated lens. Paint the glass black or cover it with tape and give it a try. Remember to cover the glass edge also.

#2 ) Because of the sliding camera cover the lens may not be pressing up against the gasket. Try another gasket or a piece of dense foam rubber. (Computer mouse pad, foam rubber, etc.

Gave the above and try and see if the pictures come out any better.

bat

Reaction score
Just looking at that picture it would appear that flat gasket is a little too big to allow the shutter to press up tight. If anything it appears that you must have the camera positioned just right for it to work correctly. Check to see if it is allowing the shutter to press up tight against it. It looks like it might be hitting the sliding door cover. Anything that holds the camera away from the seal will allow the flash bleed. Try a smaller outer diameter gasket on top of that one for a test to see if it goes away. Just put it there temporarily to tell if it will work.

I like to use foam myself, it will work on most applications.
bat

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Clear platic cases will transfer flash thru the case. Its a dead give away because you see the refraction of the cameras lens back into your picture. Paint the Inner case lid Flat Black.

PAY STRICT attention to the drilled hole where your camera lens is at. that entire Edge needs to be 100% blackened in, with Paint or a Black permanant magic marker. it transfers in between the plastic between the flash area and the lens holes. so just painting the outer area will not do the job, It will help but not eliminate it. make sure you get that edge well.

Good Luck

Dan

Tomo

Reaction score
OK... I painted the inside of the case flat black...hole edges and all, used a permanent marker on the glass edges and used foam over the flash and lens hole and WHALA!! It worked!! You guys are awesome, thanks!!

I did notice something however...the D-370 picture quality degrades when taken through the glass. I take the camera out of the trail cam and it takes pretty good pictures, put it back in, take a picture and it's acceptable.

Tomo

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Tomo,

You should not notice and degragation in Picture quality... are you using an Optical lens. looks like you have a microscope slide for the flash and lens.. Its clean and free of dirt and grime. No smudges... then you should be ok... I use optical UV Lens filters, but have also usaed glass and no problems.

BTW.. glad you got the bleed taken care of, Those clear cases are nice for drilling and allignment, but are touchy with flash bleed. tyou gotta paint them and also make sure them edges are colored in to stop the light from travelling between the plastic layers into your lens area.

share some critter pics when you get them

Dan

Tomo

Reaction score
It's the glass that came from Pix Controller...is that not good glass for the lens?

Tomo

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
It looks like its a slide from a microscope. If it is I would think that would be VERY CLEAR And should work perfectly... is it perfectly clean and free from all smudges and marks. can you post a before pic of something out of the case with the camera, then a Inside the case pic. maybe we can pinpoint something further. Maybe you still have a lil bleed, causing a fog look to your pics. not sure without seeing pic

Dan

Latest Posts

Top Bottom