Help with Homebrew

arrowsmith

Reaction score
I initially started reading all the information I could so I could learn about putting together a digital game camera.  Most of other information uses Canon 100 series cameras, I've also seen Olympus D370.  It seems that when you go digital you lose a great amount of flash distance.  I also tested a Nikon Coolpix 800 and found that after 15 feet the flash is useless.

I was told the reason was the flash on digital cameras is physically smaller and is not capable of the distance.  Since that seems to the the majority of events, going digital seems pointless unless some other camera or external flash is available.  

Could someone confirm that or provide information about alternate cameras or external flashes.

Thanks

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Here ia a 33' (to the tree)  picture with the S200 with no external flash.  Its been crunched to make it smaller (10X)

This one is 60' With the external flash  

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
arrowsmith, Welcome to JHP. I don't have a digital done yet (I have six Owls 35mm ). But some other people have and the flash distance is shorter but some have taken flashlight reflectors and increased the distance. I'm sure you will find all the help you need here. Good luck.

davered1

Reaction score
I think, (haven't had one yet myself) that the olympus will get out about 20'. If you compare that to all but the OWL PF 35mm then it is just as good as the 35mm cameras.Most 35mm crap out at 20-23ft.

HH had some pics that were 20ish ft. from the olympus.

AEH, DAMN THATS FAR, but is it worth the extra$$?? Those s200 's are rich!!

arrowsmith

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Butch, what kind of distances are you capable of after darkness sets in?

davered1

Reaction score
AEH,

after months of trying I finally got one on film to, using the 370 at 30ft here it is....

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Boy its a good thing you're in canada.  I'm having trouble with my dial up, 7 attempts just to see that picture.  every time it dropped me about half way through.  I just knew you had something grand.  

However, it does hav a nice set of headgear compared to mine.  I guess they just get bigger up ther in the big woods.

Thanks

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
The only reason i can't get excited about digital trail cams is the fact that you have no hard copies unless you print them out or send them through the internet to get them copied. Not all of my friends are on computors nor do they want to be (old fashioned ideas)so it makes it hard to share the pics. The paper and ink to make photo copies is not cheap. If you want to save the pics then you need to place them on disc or CD's or they will eat up the room on your hard drive.To each his own but for what it cost to have them developed i will stick with the canon pf. It works great and im happy with the results and the quality of the pics. Mike (Shrewshooter)

davered1

Reaction score
Sorry AEH had to do it !!

Get your s200 out yet? I would like to see some night pics of animals with that baby!!

davered1

Reaction score
Sorry AEH had to do it !!

Get your s200 out yet? I would like to see some night pics of animals with that baby!!

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Put it out last night.  I havn't hooked up the external flash yet.   I hope to get a few shots before we leave tomarrow.  If the big bow comes in I'll post it before I do.

Top Bottom