Help with Pros and Cons of D-380 / D-390

schnide

Reaction score
Im looking to sell off my 35mm trail cams and add more digital units to my collection. What are the main differences (pros/cons) of the 380 and 390. Are there any power up differences, power consumption issues with one over the other, and anyhting else those of you that have used one or both of these cameras

Thanks Guys ... Kick Butt site as always.

Paul

shelbyco150

Reaction score
schnide,I've Built A Few 380s And They Make Real Nice Trail Cams.I Don't Have Any Experence With 390s But From What I've Read They Are Not Very Fast.

wilbur

Reaction score
stay away from the 390.
Period.
There are too many other good choices out there.

sstec

Reaction score

Don't be so quick to dump the 390............
I've built 6 now and they do a great job for the price and if you know they fire up in under 3 seconds.
I've been getting 150 pictures from one set of internal batteries , AA Powerizer 2250mAh.
Took me awhile but my average price on E-bay is 65 bucks, which I think makes alright in my book.
Total package with pix board, box, batteries and misc. is still less then $200.

Stec

wilbur

Reaction score
hmmmm. I may have to eat my words. I wasn't aware they (390) were working that well.

sstec

Reaction score
With Haymakers RSP4i chip, I've had good results............
I'm waiting by the mailbox for my new universal board with the RSP4i chip to try out.....Maybe by Friday???
stec

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
sstec.. you are getting the 390 to fire in under 3 seconds??? I am very interested if that is the case.. What do you think about the flash???

sstec

Reaction score
If you make a small cut out your flash is very limited..
When I get haymakers new board, I'm going to try mounting it in a 1050 box with a bigger cut out , maybe an 1.5" circle with a deflector to get it out of the box..
The last 2 I did with 1020 boxes, I mounted the camera tight up to the cover and counter sunk my glass on the out side of the box.
That seem to help a little, but I think I can improve from that.
I know it will never be as good as some of the older models but for the price I'm happy.

I've screw'd around with external batteries and tried a few different things but still come back to internal batteries give me the fastest time and use only a 16 meg card.
4 of the 6 are out in field with the lucky few that drew tags here in AZ, so I'll see what they bring back soon.

stec

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
my average price on E-bay is 65 bucks[/b]
sstec.. with that kind of price you could still add a slave flash to the mix and just be a little over $100!! I like the way you think!! Is it just the new boards that give you the better shutter-to-pic time??? Or are you doing something different to the cam??

Muddy Z

Reaction score
How long do the batts last and how many pics are you getting on that 16mb card?

Also can you post any pics of some completed setups?

Coondog don't forget you still have to buy the board!!! I just got a 360 L for $53 shipped but the universal board ran me $70.

sstec

Reaction score
Muddy,
The last test I ran in the yard with a live trap......
D390 haymakers RSP4i chip in old style board, 4 c's powering the board.
2 AA's internal camera Powerizer 2250mAh Batteries.
Ran for 3 days and took 143 pictures on a 16 meg card. I had set at lowest resolution, I thinks it will hold close to 200 at that setting....
Anway, tested for serveral reasons.
#1 water proof with glass lens mounted on the outside of a Pelican 1020 box.
Had 2 storms roll in Sat and Sunday.
Passed
#2 Test for heat.......
Oly manual says 104 F I believe for max operating temp.
It was at least 106 F outside , I know it was alot hotter in the little black box exposed to direct sun.
Passed
#3 Battery life and Number of pictures.
About 20% are with flash...
What I have are a bunch of pictures of birds and my dogs.
I will post some later when I get back home.
Both of the set-up and pictures the unit has taken.
Passed, as far as I'm thinking.

I still have just under $200 into it and that includes everything.....
Caught 3 birds a 2 squirrels

CoonDog.....
I first started with Haymaker RSP board and got some sucess but not consistant.
Bill sent me the RSP4i chip, that has made a huge difference.
Much better control and consistant.

Don't get me wrong, out of the 6 I've built some are faster then others and the flash is the biggest issue right now.
But 360's 370's and 380's are getting harder by the day to find and the 390's are out there and cheap if you watch for them.
The most I have ever paid for one was $72 and that included shipping (refurb unit)
The lowest was $20 was used and did not have a card..still was a smok'in deal.

If the guy's who are using them come back in the 2 weeks with nothing to show, or just ass end dark pics, I'll go out with them and help do set-ups and give 1 more try.
Mean while I'll wait for my new board to show and build 1 more with 1050 box and see if I can fix the flash issue.
Thinking about mounting a quartz reflector threw the cover and a glass on the outside to seal it. Just have to find away to keep it out upper RT hand of the frame

stec

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
390's dont begin to compare to the 370/380's. there a complete differant monster alltogether.

I Have fiddled with serveral 390's now and closest trigger I have gotten is 5 seconds more like 6-7 on most. But Thats with a Bigger media card 32 meg or 64 meg dont recall.flash is horrible and there VERYYYY NOISY cameras. extremely loud...

16 meg card is VERY small jump that to a 32 or 64 meg card it will be triggering at 5-7 seconds. Lowest resolution and small card your getting away with it there. but still seems to be more like 4 to 4 1/2 seconds to trigger.

Its just a Poor choice for a trail cam, Just to slow, feeder cam its ok. But your gonna need it close because of poor flash and then theres the noise to contend with.

sstec

Reaction score
OBH,
Have you tried the RSP4i chip?
I was getting the same times as you state with the Rsp chip.
As far as noise?????
I must be deaf, I've had quail standing inches from the camera and it does not even phase them and they are normally very touchy........

I'm not saying this is the best thing since sliced bread, just very "DO" able if you know it's limits.
Small meg card helps loads, internal batteries and RSP4i chip, works well for me.
And the price is right.
Next I'm going to build a sony either P 32 or 41, depends on what I can get one for.....
After that I may jump in and say the 390 sucks, but NOT for now.

stec

sstec

Reaction score
OK here are 2 pics of what I've done with the D-390.
Sorry I was talking out the wrong end..
The box is a 1120 Pelican

Attachments

sstec

Reaction score
outside

sstec if you will please keep the picture "width" under 640 pixels wide, thanks bat

Attachments

capt 88

Reaction score
Can anybody help me figure out the rewire of the 390 camera and is the fieldpix CB-4A board a good one to start up with? thanks Capt 88

Latest Posts

Top Bottom