Help with this Videocam Counter

gizz

Reaction score
Here are some pics and included instrucs from a counter I picked up at RS. It is self powered by a mini battery and has 2 "flying" leads - one blue, one black. I am to wire between a switching device (relay?). If you've been following the videocam project I need to hook it into the existing 4 stage setup to count the number of times the start stage is started. I can then view outside of the housing so I don't have to tear into it, rewind, and vcr play it to see if I had any hits. Look relatively simple although I can't figure it out.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gizz

Here are 2 ways to do it.  The one uses the old standbye "Relay"  (I forgot to include the Protection Diode across the Relay Coil BTW)

The TLC555 can only drive 100 ma's (I think it is) so in case the existing (Start/Stop) relay draws near this, I included the 2nd way, using a Transistor as a Switch.  This transistor is the same type you been using on the timer.

Well Shoot!  I think the wires will have to be reversed to the Transistors Collector and Emitter because I am guessing the Black Wire is nearer Ground  {Batt (-)} than the Blue Wire.

In other words:
The wire going to the Transistor Collector needs to be more "Positive" than the wire that connects to it's Emitter.

You might be able to tell this by connecting your meter to the 2 Black and Blue wires, want it to read a (+) voltage.  (reverse the 2 leads till it does) , the wire connected to the RED meter wire goes to the Transistor Collector.

If you can't tell, just GUESS

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn, Honestly that makes sense! I'll do some experiment'n and see what works. I'm gonna put the thing out over the weekend so probably try and make the change next week.

BTW, I just sent a roll from one of the homebrews to that SNAPFISH foto developer on the internet. Kinda anxious to see how fast things move. Their policy is to email the jpg's once completed and mail the hardcopies after. I'm also gonna try the OFOTO place since it costs only 2.95 but you don't get any hardcopies. You do get an online photo album with them though so there are some tradeoff's.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'm taking the Snapfish Mailer with me to w/e place, we are taking an extra day (Monday)

I've had 2 cams out for a week.  I'm anxious to see how SnapFish does too so may mail some film Sat to Expedite Developing....:)

I think they have a post office down in the Sticks where our w/e place is anyway.....Probably called Tree to Tree Delivery

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi gizz,
I have this same couter on two of my cams. I've got it triggered by an opto-coupler instead of a relay.  I'm guessing that a regular transistor would have the same connections:
Blue to "collector"
Black to "emitter"

The trick was to find the "reset to zero" contacts.
Looking at the back of the circuit board with the battery facing you and the two leads above the battery - in the upper left you'll see two rectangular gold contact areas separated by a narrow space. Just momentarily short these two contacts to reset the counter to zero.  I use a 100k resistor and a push-button to short them, but the resistor is probably not needed.
Have their instructions improved in the last year??
The instructions that came with mine were horrible.
Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
Tinhorn - Maybe you outta wait until you get back to mail them. You'll probably be ahead of the horseback rider anyways

Arch - What are the chances I'd end up getting the same one you've worked with? Good Deal!
On the reset, do you mean I can just solder 2 wires to each reset contact and short via a switch or pushbutton?
As far as instructions are concerned all I got is what is posted above. They sure do assume alot!
Thanks for the help

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi gizz,
Damn!, I had pictures turned "off" for Netscape because my connection is so slow.  So now I see the directions have improve a tiny bit.  They have at least included some reference as to how to reset the circuit.  Just a momentary switch closure between the two reset contacts resets the counter to zero.

Next time I'll try and remember to view the pics ;)

Archilochus

gizz

Reaction score
Arch - I kinda forget there are still slow connections out there. I've been a pilot beta tester for Starband 2-way satellite for almost a year and lately it is working excellent. Was a little shaky at first but has seemed to stabilize somewhat. Those pics load in about a second for me now. It's either Satellite or 28.8modem for me. Old phone lines and No cable limit my options.
Anyways, thanks for the help with the counter.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom