• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Help with value of some 50+ year old small califber rifles (plus one shotgun)

asaxon

I am looking to my JHO friends for help in getting a ball park sense of what the following firearms are worth. My friend took them to Turner’s today where I think they really low balled him. He wants to sell them. He has had them in his closet for the past 40+ years. They are all “original” in good condition according to the gunsmith who replaced a broken hammer on the shotgun a couple of months ago. They do have patina of age with some loss of bluing as superficial rust on the Winchester 1906 but they have been fired very little in the past and they have not been taken apart along or abused. The gunsmith point that out that all the screw head etc. were originals in excellent condition. All the bores are in excellent shape. I suspect all of them come under the Curio & Relic category given their age.

Also, suggestions as to where/how to sell them? Calguns? Gun show? Gunbroker.com?

1. Winchester Model 1906, Standard Model. Serial # 622840B The Model 1906 was introduced as a low cost version of the Model 1890, and came with a 20” round barrel. It was manufactured from 1906 thru 1932 when approximately 800,000 were manufactured, all in takedown configuration and in .22 RF caliber. The one he has is the Standard Model.
  2. Remington 572 Fieldmaster. Serial # BE21 with aluminum barrel with steel insert..The Remington 572 was introduced in 1954 as a successor to the Remington Model 121 as the M572A.[SUP].[/SUP] A lightweight version known as the "Fieldmaster" was introduced in 1957. Remington was able to shave 1 pound from the total weight of the M572A by using aluminium to manufacture the receiver, trigger guard, buttplate, and barrel (although the barrel incorporated a steel insert). With its sungrain walnut stock and forend on the M572 Fieldmaster; the rifle was available in three other color schemes: "Crow-wing Black"(CWB), "Buckskin Tan"(BT), and "Teal-wing Blue"(TWB). These abbreviations served as a suffix to the model number. The M572TWB was discontinued in 1960 and the M572BT and M572CWB were last offered in 1962. The one he has is the early light weight version with the aluminum barrel and steel insert .
  3. Mossberg 346b 22 rifle with Mossberg S330 sight, ? Serial # .22 lr,l,s, tubular magazine (18)lr, (20)l, (25)s. 24" barrel. Weight 6.5 lbs. Walnut stock with Monte Carlo comb, cheekpiece, pistol grip, sling swivels. No. S320 ramp front sight, No. S134 rear sight, No. S330 receiver sight. Made 1958-1960 346B-A made 1960-1968. His one has the military type sight but I can't find a serial number.

4. Savage 12g Double Barrel shotgun, FoxB series H. Serial #B570181 Chambered for 2 ¾ and 3” shells. The Fox Model B had a long production run and many were produced in numerous variations. They are still in widespread use today and are often seen in gun dealers' used racks. These guns were solid performers in their day and they still are. They seldom malfunction and they are usually easy to repair when they do. The one he has is from the 1960’s and is fully functional - had a gunsmith replace one of the hamnmers and then we took it out and shot sporting clays with it.
Any help you folks can give us would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS Andy

PS - I can get pictures of them if that will help but they are up at his house at the moment.

myfriendis410

I would be reluctant to assign a value to any of the guns listed. My advice would be to get a copy of the "Blue Book of Firearm Values" and peruse it to determine value. Be aware that the value listed is not what one would pay to purchase it. Nobody wants to pay top dollar. None of the guns listed are rare. I in fact have the same '06 Winchester sitting in my gun safe this very minute.

asaxon

Thanks Alan. I'll order that book now. It will be fun to pursue it as well - I'll learn something along the way. I know they aren't rare or $$$ stuff. The only one that is I didn't list, it is a flint lock that was converted to a percussion muzzle loader and has a double (set) trigger. The gun smith who I had look at it months ago said it belongs in a museum. My friend will donate to a museum.

Also, if anyone wants to send me any particular advise, feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

slanttop357

I will look them up Andy. give me a minute my book value guide is from 2008 but price will be in the ball park.

slanttop357

Win MOD 06 Price Excellent: $2,500.00 Very good: $1,200.00 Rem MOD 572A made from about 1955 to 1987- Price Excellent: $210.00 Very good $165.00 Rem MOD 572SB same as Mod 572A except: Smooth bore for 22 shot cartridges Price Excellent:$240.00 Very good: $190.00. Rem MOD 572BDL Deluxe version of the 572A Price New(retail) $427.00 Excellent:$320.00 Very good: $255.00. Mossberg mod 346B comments: Made from the late 1940s to the mid-1950s price Excellent: $160.00 Very good $140.00. Savage MOD 220 Book did not list a FOXB Series H. Price Excellent: $100.00 Very good $80.00. Andy hope this helps regards Craig.

asaxon

Thanks Slanttop (Craig): That is great intel. - gets me in the ballpark. I have ordered the Blue Book of Gun Values. I'll have hours of fun reading about all the stuff I don't need. It will also explain the criteria for the various grades/levels of condition. Drop me an email with your mailing address and I'll send you several sets of the feather ear rings I make. Your can give them to the various ladies in your life.

Andy
[email protected]

Last edited:

inchr48

Andy,

You can also search for the appropriate model numbers on the On-line firearm auction sites, like Auction Arms, Gun Broker etc. It will give you an idea of what the current market is supporting price wise.

asaxon

Andy,

You can also search for the appropriate model numbers on the On-line firearm auction sites, like Auction Arms, Gun Broker etc. It will give you an idea of what the current market is supporting price wise.
Yup, have now taken a look. Very useful and the "key" is the condidtion. Once I have the Blue Book, I expect I'll be able to get a good idea as to the grade of these old firearms. Having not done this before, it is going to be an interesting/fun project.

I'm going to send you some sets of my new feather ear rings for the ladies. BEST

Andy

slanttop357

Hi Andy i got a book that lists "Cartridge Prices" along with gun value's, dam keep your eyes peeled for old ammo. This book is from 1994 and the price of some ammo is crazy, example 30-30 Wesson $26.00ea- .31Crispin $165.00ea .36Crispin $190.00ea 7.25mm adler $85.00 and it goes on and on.

slanttop357

Andy i did find the Model B Fox in my older book 1994 V.G. $175.00 Exc. $ 225.00. thats 18 years ago. I might be asking you some prices when you get the blue book lol.

asaxon

Thanks folks for all the input. I got the "blue book" (2012 issue) and have already sold the Remington and the Mossberg. I'm going to put the 1906 up for sale here on JHO and I'm holding the shotgun for the moment for a friend.

Top Bottom