help?

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
so i take it nobody wants to help me out????? thanks all i wanted to know was if i could find some turkeys on public land around here and where?

JakeCarter

Reaction score
Might also want to try out the forums search feature, public land has been talked about a lot here and lots of good information already posted.

dkhuntr25

Banned
Reaction score
im sorry i guess i didnt realize that just usually people are so helpful and it seems now its like fend for urself

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
If you were down south i could help you out but don't know much about up north!

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
Not alot of guys are going to give up thier spots during the season. And they really aren't going to post it in a open forum. Join the PM and I'll send you some areas out of sacto that are public. There are areas near Modesto that are open to the public that hold birds but you have to go out and scout them in person. I've spent many days scouting areas that did not hold birds or were unhuntable but the only way to find that out is to go look at the area. I will say one thing though, the BLM can be a hunters best friend when it comes to Turkeys. Get a BLM map for the area you want to hunt and go check it out.

When you do join the PM send me a message and I'll send you directions to two areas that I have seen birds at this week. The areas are right at two hours from Modesto.

bobbyray28

Reaction score
I e-mailed you with my phone #. If you'd like call me after 5:30 I will help you as best I can.

Metdawg44

Reaction score
Most California turkey's (Rio Grande's) are found in what I call the "oak belt". This can be along the coastal mountains or the foothills of the Sierras. This is where your search should begin. Check maps for public land (including BLM) with this in mind. There are also turkeys (Rios and Merriams) in the pines on National Forrest land. Talk to Rangers and see if you can get any indication of turkey sightings by the Rangers. Once you have a area in mind, lace up your boots and get out and scout, scout, scout.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hitechhunter @ Apr 2 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Scout with a map and your boots instead of a forum.[/b]
i agree 100%...not to be rude, but not everything in life comes free.......i am sure many people on this forum worked there butts off spending: time away from family, money on gas, and money buying maps to locate public land birds, big game, small game..etc..etc......i know for a fact because i have done it....it took my brother and i 2 years to find good public land spots that have birds and to get upset at us for not just spilling our beans for a spot for you to hunt....i don't think so....i am all for giving you advice on HOW to do it, what to do and not to do..what works and doesn't work...etc. etc....but to just blab our a hunting spot i don't think so...

if you want to know how to find spots to hunt i will be more then happy to email, meet, or talk with you about my experiences and what has worked for me.

Josh

pennywise67

Reaction score
I'll would look to the east of Modesto in the Sierra foothills. Find Public land and scout,scout scout. Public land turkeys spots are guarded like fort knox. It can be done, I found spots last year in the Los Padres with no pressure, and I got birds. Just have to put in the time.

dogboy925

Reaction score
Yep, many of us work hard to find them public land birds. I'm willing to share some ideas, but nothing in life is free, you got to work for it. Just last weekend I put in over 10 hrs in a new spot and came up empty handed but I did have a lot of fun and even sweet talked a few gobblers with no results. But hey at least I'm in the area and next time who knows.

Matter fact the last 2 snibblers I helped out on the board, newbies looking for some private spots, joined me for some hunts. They then went on to get some private land access. Killing big birds right and left. You think they ever reached out and returned the favor........ NOT.

So, due to that I'm a little gun shy in helping others but maybe these or only two piss poor examples of hunters that don't help out others.

Who knows. But give me a shout maybe I can offer up some ideas.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
2nd post in less than 24 hours demanding help?

Patience kills more birds in all the years I've seen turkeys tipped over. I hope you get some, if not the learning curve is gonna hurt.

Top Bottom