HELP

J

Joe Gallagher

I'm a little fuzzy about the timer circuit for my first homemade trail cam.  It says in the materials list that if I am using the MS20 sensor that I can clip the photoeye and switch the unit to "Auto", and take advantage of its time delay feature ---1.0 to 1.5 min.

Is this the F-3 that is clipped under the MS20 modification  instructions?  And if it is do I still need to make up a delay timer with the TLC 555?  1.0 to 1.5 would be plenty of delay for me.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Joe, this is the one that is domed shaped like a mini mag flashlight bulb, do not cut the flat one , that is your motion sensor! I just put tape over mine to keep the light out! Dont block the motion sensor with the tape you put over the photo eye. If you do it this way you will get the needed time delay. I get about 2 minutes with mine setup this way and it opperates 24 hrs. a day! Good luck!

J

Joe Gallagher

Buckrider

Thanks for the input.  I'm on the right track now.

Welby

Reaction score
Joe, if you're facing the circuit board of the MS20, there are two sensors near the middle of the board.  The one up and just to the left is the photoeye that you can clip.  It is identified by the jagged little line on the face of it.  However, if you are uncomfortable with clipping the photoeye (or light sensor), then covering it up is suitable.

I would not utilize the MS20's time delay feature without building a TLC555 timer, especially if you are using a Canon camera.  Why?  Because the TLC timer in single stage is not for the purpose of time delay, but rather as a safety device that keeps your camera from shutting itself off.  This is necessary because if an animal keeps your PIR tripped for more than three minutes, the camera WILL shut itself off.  This will happen much more easily as well if you try and use the MS20 time delay without a single stage timer.

Let's say that an animal trips your MS20, so the MS20 trips for 1-1/2 minutes as it should and triggers the camera shutter..  HOWEVER, if the MS20 continues to detect motion after it first detects motion, it will continue to keep resetting the 1-1/2 minute cycle.  This conceivably could turn into a cycle that is much longer than the threshold of the Canon's shutoff mechanism.

SO, without a 555 timer, the camera shuts off in the instance above.  BUT with a 555 timer, the camera is only triggered for the amount of time that the 555 is set for (let's say four seconds max) and then for the rest of the time the PIR signal is ignored by the 555.  That is, until the PIR detects no more motion and completely resets itself.

On a side note, I tested my MS20 time delay feature today and found that it was actually closer to two minutes than a minute and a half.  I timed mine at one minute and fifty-three seconds.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
i have used only the built in timer of the ms20 motion sensor and have not had the camera shut down yet! Mine is right at 2 minutes delayed as well in the auto position and about 4 seconds in the test position. I took a sharpie marker and blacked out the photo eye to fool it into thinking it is dark out 24 hrs. a day.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Welby - I have my cam set out on a trail near to home where the day time temperatures down in the gully are a plague, but it's a well used trail leading to water.  I purchased a Regent MS20 thinking that it would only work during night in Auto Mode, but it really doesn't work from dawn to dusk like stated on the box. So, I'm trying to do the opposite of of you guys, and would rather increase the light sensor sensitivity. Have you guys fooled around with it, or have any ideas?

wfontjr

Reaction score
like welby said you can use it without the 555 timer, but if the motion last for more than 3 minutes or so the camera will lock up, you will have to remove the camera batteries to reset it, the ms20 will not release the camera shutter until 1.5 minutes or so after motion stops, so if you get 2 minutes of motion followed by the 1.5 minute delay you will lock it up, it may not happen often unless you are around a feeder or someplace the deer or milling around, but it will happen eventually

Tinhorn

Reaction score
If you are using the TLC555 timer to activate a relay and in turn, activating the cam then the "Button" on the cam is pushed down only 2 sec's or so and won't do it again untill the input signal is removed and gets triggered again........in other words,  the cam WON"T shutdown if a TLC 555 is used in this way

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 11:03 pm on July 1, 2001)

trbd

Reaction score
i built 2 cams with ms20 & owl cameras one has light sensor removed one just taped over. one took a roll in short order of nothing all of a night the other one took a week & half but same results all of a night blank, other than the one where i walked in front of it too see if it was working, it cam out great.  any ideas what i have done wrong.    thanks   tony

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi trbd - One of the problems with the MS20 is that its range is greater than the flash. When I hold my MS20 negatives up to a high intensity light I can see deer standing out there in the dark that didn't show up on the glossy. One of these days when I have more time, I plan to scan those negatives with a special attachment that came with my scanner.

Possum

Reaction score
Test what Richard is talking about.  Put the cam on a roadbed or trail facing accross it.  In other words limit the range  of the sensor.  That has to be the reason if the pic turned out of you walking in front.  

trbd

Reaction score
i new this & had both of them close to a trail. i have a moltrie cam & had learned this already. one of them i thoght i had found a bad conection so i fixed it & tested it in the house, ok then i put film in it put it on top of my jeep [where a dog could not set it of ]pointing at my shop [10'] of a night. next morning it had took the whole roll????

Tinhorn

Reaction score
1.  What battery are you using?

When a batt gets low, it toggles the PIR and will take up a whole roll of film in short order.

2.   Can you measure the Current Draw?  the MS20 should draw only 1.5 ma's or so

3.   Are you using a Timer?  whats it's current draw?

4.   A bad solder joint can cause false alarm's too

Hope you find the culpret!

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
The low battery will cause the PIR to go off and on.  I was using an old battery when I was testing my cam and it threw me for a loop for a while.  With the hot weather in most states batteries are not lasting as long.  

(Edited by Possum at 8:14 am on Aug. 29, 2001)

trbd

Reaction score
i am using a remote control car battery 1ah with no timer.   tony

duckman2000

Reaction score
I got five dozen herters full body honkers this summer,but i dont have an idea where to hunt them.i hunt snow's in the valley but do not see many honkers.where is a good place to go to set up the dec's

mudroller

Reaction score
hunt the east side of the valley, or ash creek refuge. They hang out at Yolo too later in the season.

CMitchell

Reaction score
Long story short...I'm building a trail cam using a Canon Sure Shot BF. I got it to work but decided to change my wiring. Big mistake. Now nothing works. I removed all wiring, reassembled the camera, and inserted new batteries. Now the LED with the film count won't even display. Did I "fry" the board or short circuit something? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

(Edited by CMitchell at 10:13 pm on Oct. 19, 2001)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CM,
That sounds like one for the "parts-bin"

When you changed batteries, did you let the cam sit for several minutes with no batteries installed??
Sometimes improper shutter sequence can cause a cam to "lock-up"  To clear the cams memory, you need to remove the batts and leave the cam sitting for a few minutes.  If you just popped new batts in immediately after removing the old ones, the cams memory might have retained some improper logic states.  Try it and see, ya never know.

Good Luck,
Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom