gobblr

Reaction score
I would like to thank you all for a great site.  i have been pulling info off here for a while and finally decided to give this a try.  I was so excited when the whole thing worked like a charm last night.  That was last night.  before i started the housing portion of the project I wanted to test one more time.  Well......the camera (OWL af) was going into a short rewind mode every time the PIR tripped.  So i decided to take the leads off the plug and try that.  I shorted the wires and the same thing happened. I then decided to take the camera apart to see what the deal was......hot glue is a bugger to get off!!......well I started to cut gingerly with blade when a loud snap came about...... (where are those flash leads??????)...this is a non date camera....I thought they were on the other side by the flash!!!!....anyway.... the traces are burned....(two middle ones)...and when i put batteries in the red eye reduction stays on....and it don't work!!!!!...... is there any hope for this rig????.......can i repair those traces???...and if i do will the camera work again after that surge?????........any help would be of great service...

gizz

Reaction score
The good news first, Welcome to Jesse's bbs! Glad to have you aboard.
The bad news is: It doesn't sound good! I wouldn't give up though. Maybe try and undoe everything you did already by removing soldered wires and making sure you didn't "spill" some solder creating a short. Clean all this up and try again. If no go, then you can attempt to solder a jumper over the spot you fried. Solder is cheap so it's worth a try. I'd keep trying until you can't take it anymore, then if you don't fix it put the camera away and move on. Come back to it later after you've successfully built a couple cams and you'll probably be able to fix it. Don't throw it out!
Good Luck.
PS if you have a scanner you could scan the camera with the fried traces and post up some pics, maybe we could help you a little more.

gobblr

Reaction score
Well....thanks for the info.  I was afraid of that.  The thing is I was very neat with all of my soldering.  I tried the jumper thing......but no go.  I may take a pic and scan it for you all.  As far as the big pop that happened......  What did I do???....i dont want that to happen again....:)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The Flash circuit has a charge of about 350 volts that will zap you (or the circuit) even if it's turned off.......

I imagine the "Pop" was the discharge of the Flash Ciruit......not good

jam

Reaction score
I am trying to make a log of the deer activity with the times and dates off my cam pics. I purchased a hunting mag. and was comparing the feeding times with the times on my pics. and found no comparison. The deer did not read the charts. I was trying to make some since out of this and make myself a smarter hunter. Our bow season here in N.C. starts in sept. and I was going to hunt am stands on feed times best in am and the same with pm. Also noticed on the mags. chart the best two feed times were always 5 hours apart and I thought this made since because I have read that deer have to eat within 5 hours of there last feeding or it has negetive effects on their digestive system. Any thoughts from anyone? Is there help for this deer hunter.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
See if you can find a book by a guy named Jeff Murray about hunting and Moon Times,  I think I seen it in Cabela's once but not sure.....

He has loads of information on Hunting by the Moon

Tinhorn

gobama

Reaction score
The ONLY answer is http://www.solunar.com! They summarize how the charts are determined and offer some amazing testimonials as also offer many days of the month free, but for only $15 a year, they will generate charts for your specific area. The accuracy of the charts during last years deer season was nothing but phenominal. My buddy and I had 15+ hunts that deer activity coincided with the charts. The only exception during those days was that a devastating tornado kept all animal activity down.

Also, everytime I saw deer crossing the road or feeding within sight last season to this point the chart had predicted minor or major movement. We are in the process of comparing the charts to the club records of bucks killed to determine the coorelation, which I already know is strong.
Obviously the best time to hunt is when you can, but the accuracy of these charts have enabled me to attempt to plan my limited hunting days to the most effective times.

Once at a hunting store, I compared a disk shaped chart that you moved to a specific date and found the product did not match any of the times I saw deer activity.
I have told everyone I know about the benefits of their product. Good Luck! Fletcher...Brookhorn@aol.com

Top Bottom