help

brut

Banned
Reaction score
ok I made a dumb mistate. I always take the collar off of my dogs when there in the water well I wasnt thinking and had my dogs out and my pup got her coller cought on a branch and freaked out while swimming. well after that she wont go in past her feet. I need some ideas she is a awsome retriever. ( on dry land) thanks for any helpfull ideas

Skeet

Backcountry

Reaction score
How old is the dog? If she's young I wouldn't worry too much. Some suggestions...

- Have play sessions with other dogs that are swimming

- Get in the water with the dog... don't be shy, get in there deep, swim if you have to

- Skip breakfast so your dog is hungry then toss his/her absolute most favorite treat into the water (liver treats or beef lung work well because they float)

- Get a wading pool and put it in the yard so the dog is accustomed to playing in the water

- Swim train on a beach with a gradual slope (no drop offs) so that your dog can go at his/her own speed

Good luck! Backcountry

brut

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the advice she is only a year and a half. loves her wading pool in the back yard but it only goes up to her knees. I've taken her and my older dog out playing fetch in the lake. but i like the idea of myself going out maybe that is what it will take thanks again.

caduckgunner

Reaction score
My lab would only go into the water up to her knees also. But when my friends lab jumped in to retrieve a ball, she went right in after him. I've never had a problem after that. You can try Silverwood, but i;m not sure if the beach is still closed from the fire. Another good spot is Dog Beach in Huntington Beach. If you ever want ot go to Silverwood, let me know as I'm in Apple Valley all the time and my Lab lovers water.

brut

Banned
Reaction score
were going to try silverwood friday. She will follow me out into the water after much encurragement (sp) and even fetch but she hangs up on her own and will let my old lab do the swimming. hopefully I can make it fun for her again.

rtin

Reaction score
brut get his favorite toy find a pool or some water source and get in with him and make it fun,end result you wont be able to keep him out of the water.good luck rtin

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Take your dog to a small stream or river that is low. Wade across and leave your dog on the other side. Start shallow work bigger. I always take pups trout fishing. You just have to watch the hooks. Letting her see another dog having all the fun in the water will help also. I had the same problem with my male when he was young, he got hung up retrieving woodducks and it took a bit for him to get his confidence back. Now he hits the water at full speed and a big leap. Just be very carefull if you swim with a dog. Some will want to climb on top of you. Not good at all unless you can breath water. It is best to just wade.

brut

Banned
Reaction score
Well all is great with the dog now she must have forgotten she didnt like the water. took her and brut down to silverwood and she beelined it into the lake and never stopped swimming. I dont know what got into her but i was amazed. she would take a flying leap in to chase the bumpers even outswimming my old lab. to say I was very impressed would be a understatement. thanks for all the help skeet

Top Bottom