Helping wildlife question!

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Many animals need minerals for many reasons..... is it legal to put out a mineral lick in California? I know you can can't hunt within 400 yards of bait which includes salt!

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
You can put it for cows. BTW, question comes in mind, how they dealt with their needs for millions years without help and still managed to survive?

#1Predator

Reaction score
You can put it for cows? Yes. See below.

California Code of Regulations, Title 14:

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

(a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
(b) Exceptions:
(1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;
(2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;
(3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, (emphasis added) or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown.
Ame

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
^^^^^ here we go again. Without reading or trying to understand the OP, let's jump right in>>>>
If you read the OP, you can clearly see:"I know you can't hunt within 400 yards of bait which includes salt". So, he knows that, right?
The name of the thread is :"helping wildlife question!" Not hunting over salt.(Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait)
Tuolumne answered OP question.
Beside i wrote "can" not "may", let alone not offered hunting. I clearly stated "for cows", and in addition OP stated:"Many animals need minerals for many reasons" so the purpose was definitely not hunting.
Interesting why many people do not red questions and made conclusions.:rotflmao:

Last edited:

hunterdoug

Reaction score
Yea you can put it out for cows but not for wildlife, that would be considered baiting.

hunterdoug

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it for cougar's either...lol! Had to...you know for bears tho I would....I can see my labs now licking pnut butter off their palate...hah!

#1Predator

Reaction score
^^^^^ here we go again. Without reading or trying to understand the OP, let's jump right in>>>>
If you read the OP, you can clearly see:"I know you can't hunt within 400 yards of bait which includes salt". So, he knows that, right?
The name of the thread is :"helping wildlife question!" Not hunting over salt.(Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait)
Tuolumne answered OP question.
Beside i wrote "can" not "may", let alone not offered hunting. I clearly stated "for cows", and in addition OP stated:"Many animals need minerals for many reasons" so the purpose was definitely not hunting.
Interesting why many people do not red questions and made conclusions.:rotflmao:
I read the follow-up question in reply #4 from JustGuy and answered that question not the original post (although, if you read the code section, it has a part in answering both questions) since that question had already been answered correctly by reply #2. Now, to follow-up on reply #2 (Tuolumne), he is correct in his answer to the original question and here's the correct code for his answer:

§251.3. Prohibition Against Feeding Big Game Mammals.
No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals, as defined in Section 350 of these regulations.

Both code sections cover the feeding of wildlife. Section 251.3 covers Big Game Mammals exclusively. Section 257.5 covers all mammals (regardless of their DFW classification) as well as Resident Game Birds.

And yes, I do find it "interesting why many people do not red (sic) questions and made conclusions."

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
#1Predator, thanks again for your well thought out answers. The information you provide is invaluable.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
I read the follow-up question in reply #4 from JustGuy and answered that question not the original post (although, if you read the code section, it has a part in answering both questions) since that question had already been answered correctly by reply #2. Now, to follow-up on reply #2 (Tuolumne), he is correct in his answer to the original question and here's the correct code for his answer:

No person shall knowingly feed big game mammals, as defined in Section 350 of these regulations.

Both code sections cover the feeding of wildlife. Section 251.3 covers Big Game Mammals exclusively. Section 257.5 covers all mammals (regardless of their DFW classification) as well as Resident Game Birds.

And yes, I do find it "interesting why many people do not red (sic) questions and made conclusions."
Yep, you are most right and this is the reason you posted :"California Code of Regulations, Title 14:

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait." or was it me? Or sorry...

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it!!
Wouldn't worry of about the semantics of the questions or the answers. It's all informative!
Thanks again.
B Dbl E Dbl R U N

Rodburner

Reaction score

SNAP!

Top Bottom