Here Big Buck, Here Big Buck ...

StanG

Reaction score
I probably will get tons of different answers but here it goes..

What is the best food to bait whitetails to the cams?

I heard that rice bran worked well.

Any suggestions?

Stan

ghoot

Reaction score
Have only used corn and chicken scratch, and the chicken scratch wins hands down! I think it's the milo in it that they seem to really like.

Stever

Reaction score
I put out 4-5 apples and smashed one to really give off some smell

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I have never had a Lick of Luck bringing a GOOOOD Buck into any type of bait, always caught them in the thick stuff or escape routte areas or thick cover into fields or staging areas.

Only thing thats been a descent success is Urine, any kind even Human urine on the ground. that pretty much stops them for a shot or 2.

Dan

Kentuck

Reaction score
My cousin is using a salt/mineral block. I think his location is the key to his success though. He also gets mostly doe and fawn action. There is a huge buck they are trying to get on film now in another spot. Hope they do, they say it is a monster.

StanG

Reaction score
Anyone tried Buck Grub Deer Attractant and Feed from Cabela's?

Stan

StanG

Reaction score
OBH,

So basicaly you stop and take a pi** on the ground.
HeHe - Just Kidding ...

Stan

bat

Reaction score
Hey it works! Try it making a fake scrape this year and you will never laugh at that statement again. They can't tell it is different from any other animal. They just have to investigate the smell. Should do just as good in front of a trail cam as it does for a flash scrape.

bat

bowhtr1

Reaction score
Rice bran works, corn works, soybeans work, salt mineral licks work. Take your pick. I would not use corn in the summer rack growing months. (low protein) The best I find in the winter is corn or rice bran. In the summer I use salt licks and soybeans.

PNTFRMR

Reaction score
Don't know if you know this about Buckgrub but if you are in a humid climate it will mold or grow mold all over it in 24 hrs or less. I haven't had any luck with it here in okieland, deer won't touch it here. I actually use corn that i soak in corn syrup and then roll in 30-06 plus protein so they actually will eat lots of minerals and protein this way.

hunteverything

Reaction score
During the summer I use a salt block. Deer love it. In the fall of course I cannot do this so I just put the cam on the main trail to the clover.

steel

Reaction score
Right now I am having the best luck with plain old corn. I get 10+ pics a night about 80% are deer pics with a few coons mixed in, but do to the the fact I have the PIR about 2-3 feet of the ground I don't get many coon pics I know there are alot more coon than I see in the pics coming in. Before adding the corn I was using some peaches and pears form my yard which worked but the corn is working alot better. I had no bait trail sets up for several weeks and I was lucky to get 10pics a week on those set ups but this time of year the deer are wide spread here and there is to many active trails. I also have a ton of sign at a mineral lick so I moved a cam there will check it in the morning to see how well it did. I found a fresh set of very large tracks there so I am hopeing to get a pic of the buck that made them.

StanG

Reaction score
Thanks PNTFRMR,

I'm here in the South also. I will pass on the moldy food.
It sure is humid here!! It probably will be 90 deg. on opening day.

Stan

Fred Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by ghoot@Jul 28 2004, 02:37 PM
Have only used corn and chicken scratch, and the chicken scratch wins hands down! I think it's the milo in it that they seem to really like.
what is chicken scratch?

garman

Reaction score
Note of caution....

If you set you cam by a scrape and take a leak in it to attract bucks.... make sure the cam is OFF while depositing the scent lure.. or at least face the other way!!!

Taz

Reaction score
I raise deer and can tell you for sure, there are two things my deer love. Roasted soybeans and Alfalfa. Some feed stores carry the alfalfa cubes. (just thinking they may get moldy though, I never had them out in the elements)
They also like the water conditioner rock salt, they eat the rocks like popcorn. Mine are spoiled and won't touch a block.

ghoot

Reaction score
Fred,
Chicken scratch is a mixture of grains and some other goodies for feeding chickens. Not sure what all is in it, but just ask for "Chicken Scratch" at the feed store and they should know what it is.

Fred Bear

Reaction score
ok thanks ghoot. Never heard of it. Brings deer in real good huh?

ghoot

Reaction score
Fred, Yep, it works real good here in SW OK. I think deer in different areas seem to like/need different things in their diet.

buckboy

Reaction score
Up here in New Brunswick, Canada the bait normally only brings in does and fawns. The odd spike horn or 4 point might come in but most big bucks show up in the dark. Farmer's fields with alfalpha and white clover work good but the big boddied deer with big racks are going to the fields moslty at night

I never had luck with apples for big bucks. Some guys do but not often. The odd big buck may come near the bait looking for hot does.

I hunt mostly near trails and have used a small garden scoop to gather the dirt from an active scrape in one area and dropping it off in another active scrape miles away. Don't touch the dirt with your clothes or hands. Place into a plastic container or bag. Move the dirt ASAP for freshness.

Drives the dominant bucks nuts since they think there is an intruder. When they come and re-check their scrapes they know this is a new buck in the area and they normally will hang around for a few days rubbing trees and freshning scrapes.

Another method I use, is to scoop up frozen doe urine on the snow into a jar in late November and early December and keep it frozen in my deep freezer until next hunting season.
Some does are still in heat in late November and December and the urine tends to be reddish orange. Come next hunting season I will thaw the urine and use it on scrapes to attract the bucks during daylight hours.

Can be a little dirty but works! No worse then cleaning a gut shot deer.

Won't work for you southern Yankees. No Snow!!!

Scott

Latest Posts

Top Bottom