Here is our chance to write the rules

BigDog

Reaction score
June 13, 2001, San Francisco Chronicle, Tom Stienstra

Mike Chjrisman of the Fish and Game Commission challenged readers who complain about how the state manages fish, wildlife and other natural resources to recommend specific ways to fix the problems.
Write him at: Fish and Game Commission, 1416 ninth Street, Sacramento, Ca 95814 or http://www.dfg.ca.gov and then click on "Commision"
All letters must include name and physical address or are thrown out.
That includes Fishhing Rules: Ever try to decipher a DFG rule booklet? Reads like Egyptioan: Well, all the rules are on the table this year, to be rewirtten, chagned or left the same-as determined by the commission.

Go for it Folks.....

Fubar

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me. We can post ideas here and get each others responses before we submit them to the DFG.               Fubar

BigDog

Reaction score
Sorry, somebody at work was so rude in expecting me to do some work that I did not get a chance to proof read my post. Soooo...
his name is Mike Chrisman, Fishhing should be Fishing and we can take the o out of Egyptioan...

Sounds like a good idea Fubar.

If they are really going to listen, we should give them input. If we don't then we have no right complaining after the new regs come out.

tommyo

Reaction score
I would be delighted to share issues and share signatures to the important issues in need of change.  I am opposed to the variety of fishing regs on the trout streams - for one.  I believe there should be a kind of lowest common denominator so instead of barbless hooks/flies only stretches, we have those regs laid over a one fish limit any style - everywhere, for example.

grizz

Reaction score
How about a two rod stamp, that's good in the river.  If the limit is the limit.  What diffrance is two poles or one going to make.  Sure would be nice say, catching shad and also haveing one on as bait.  

jerry d

Reaction score
I agree with Tommyo on the trout regs. Can be very confusing.

My pet peeve is some of the artificial/barbless designated streams, such as Lower Burney Creek.

This one mile strech of water is from the base of Burney Falls down to Lake Britton in Macarthur/Burney Falls State Park.

This park, with approx. 200 camp spaces, attracts families from across Calif. and is a perfect place for young anglers to fish but because of the restrictions very few do. What parent can afford to plunk down 2 - 3 dollars just for a few cast before a lure is lost in the heavy rocks or bushes. I think kids have a ball using worms when learning to fish and they're affordable.

Due to the depth of the water and over hanging bushes, this stream has a maximum of half dozen small fly friendly areas where a person can wade without floating their hat and the heavy cover along the remainder of the stream bank makes casting near impossible. During my annual vacation in the area I see very few fiy fishermen attempting to use this stream.

I was told by an employee at Chrystal Springs Hatchery that the state is required to designate one stream per year as artificial/ barbless and once this is done it's final. When ask who came up with this idea he said, "you can thank your fly fishing buddies in Trout Unlimited". Don't know if this factual.

I fully understand the need to preserve wild streams but can't understand why this stream, that's within 200 - 300 yds. of a family oriented campground that's packed all summer, was chosen.

Granted, the creek above the falls is stocked and unrestricted but most times it's so crowded you need to "bring your own rock" just for a place to fish.

Doesn't make sense to me to waste a stream such as this when we have streams in Calif. that would be better suited for this restriction.

Oh well, guess that why I'm not qualified to make the rules but since the ones that do make the rules are asking for input, I'm gonna let them know my feelings on this subject.

BigDog

Reaction score
Hey Spectr...... this may be a good chance for us to make some changes. Can you think of a way to set something up so we can have discussion areas for the different types of regs. It looks like we have some interest here. However, I think we will lose some people if people have to wade through lots of comments on regs that they are not interested in. Some people only fish and some only hunt and etc....

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
BigDog,

I think the best way to get comments would be to post your 1st post under each Forum, that way everyone will see it while they are looking at the forum or forums they are interested in. You can keep the thread at the top by just "Bumping" it up when it needs it.

This may scatter out the comments but you could pull them all together to submit them. I'm not sure everyone wouldn't want to read about other ideas, it helps see the bigger picture I think when you see what others are dealing with and what they want to propose for a solution.

What do you peeps think we should do to help this along?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like a good cause.  

I don't know much about the fishing regs here, except that they're so danged convoluted that they've kept me from fishing for the whole time I've been here.  I think I bought a license the first two years, but I'm scared to drop a line in a creek, for fear of using the wrong kind of lure or bait...

I also agree with someone's post elsewhere about the need for some kind of preference point system.  I wasn't surprised to see that the majority of folks in the DFG survey preferred to keep the old system rather than paying more for a new one, but I also believe that's a measure of their distrust of the DFG to work for them.  

I think most folks would be supportive if a clear option were drawn up and offered, and then a price tag could be attached... rather than just asking them in a survey if they'd be willing to pay more for something different...and never defining what that "something" is.

bjw99

Reaction score
Please, everyone write and ask them to expand to tree squirrel hunting range to more of southern california.  There's no reason why the boundries should be drawn as are they are now.

Fubar

Reaction score
bjw There are a lot of people that live in the National Forest in the San Bernardin mountains. They think the squirrels are "cute". The hunters are the minority. Even though the squirrels are overrunning the place I think the people that live there would have a fit if the DFG opened a season on them.       Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 10:48 am on June 19, 2001)

bjw99

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I understand that might be the case.  

However, the DFG SHOULDN'T let how cute animals are dictate hunting regulations.  I think some of the mainstream hunting groups should help fight the political correctness that governs hunting regulations, afterall it's only a matter of time until deer are seen as too cute to hunt.

Fubar

Reaction score
bjw I agree with you. The DFG shouldnt let sentiment have any place in game management. Unfortunately public opinion plays a major role in DFG policy. They are under tremendous pressure from anti-hunting groups and their rules and policies reflect this. Being politically correct also influences our politicians and the laws they make. Just look at the current Mountain Lion situation. They are not being managed at all. The DFG had their hands tied by the voters after some moron politician decided the DFG was not capable of managing Lions and passed a bill to protect them. Now the lions are eating all the deer and sheep. I dont want to get started on that. We have to remember that everything we do as hunters reflects on us. Hunting is on its way out. It is only a matter of time. The way we behave in the field will have a lot to do with how long we can postpone this. Hunters are a minority. Sorry to get so carried away. bjw this is not directed at you. I just had to vent.                     Fubar

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with you, bjw99.  I've got a spot at the north end of LA County that has grey squirrels the size of some deer in the zone and we can't shoot 'em.  Dang!  

I think I'll send a request to open up the season on tree rats.

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom