heres a tough one #2

markr

Reaction score
o.k. i took the camera apart and it sure looks like my electronics guy has the solder conections correct. I asked this question before and i'm not sure it matters but do the wires coming from the camera have to be soldered to specific parts on the stereo jacks. this is what he has: a black wire to the 6 pin and a yellow to the 4 pin and a yellow to the 5 pin. the way he has the jack wired is the black from the 6 pin the the ground on the plug and the two yellow to the others. does this make a difference? also i touched the two yellow wires together in order to short the shutter switch as directed on the instructions, all that happened was a flash with no shutter action. if you think i still need to short the 5 and 6 pins with the 4 pin i need to know how to do that since i did'nt do the soldering to the camera myself{wimp}. thanks again        

markr

Reaction score
well i got to tinkering and now i got the camera to work by touching the wires together. It seems it's either the plugs or something to do with the wiring to the plugs. Whiuch do you think?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi markr,
As I suggested before.... Is it a Rat Shack plug/jack??
If so - they are sometimes poorly made and can give an improper contact of the shutter wires.
Touching the two yellow wires together should NOT cause any lights/flash to come on (this is an Owl PF - right??)
Because you get a flash (or light) when you touch the two yellow wires together, I'd guess that there is a bad connection somewhere.  Check all connections many times!  It's easy to miss stuff on those tiny traces.

Also - sometimes the PFs have loose solder bits floating around inside from the factory - check and clean up any stray junk inside the cam as it can cause improper operation.

<<<<<EDIT>>>>>
Oooppps - is MY face red!!  Read your post too fast & messed up on the yellow wire bit - oh well - just listen to Tinhorn - he paid attention!
<<<<END EDIT>>>>

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 9:58 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

(Edited by Archilochus at 10:00 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Here are the symptoms of touching only 2 wires together at a time:

Pin 5 to 6:  nothing will happend (these 2 HAS to be permanently shorted for proper operation)
Pin 4 to 5:  get a single Flash, cam usually shuts down (Wrong!)
Pin 4 to 6:  Red-Eye Reduction activated, flash comes on like a light (this is the Half-Press Feature)

What you want is for Pins 5 & 6 to be shorted together and when they get connected to pin 4, cam fires normally.

Jack on Camera (suggestion)
pin 4 = yell     (Comm)           Point
pin 5 = yell     (Full Press)       Middle
pin 6 = black   (Half Press)      Shield (ground)

Now, on the PIR Plug:  short Middle to Shield  (Ground) and run a wire to relay contact

and run another wire from "Point" to other relay contact

Top Bottom