Hevi Shot Choke Tube

BeenGoosed2

Reaction score
Has anyone had their hands on the new choke tube that Hevi Shot (Remington) put out?  I think it is an extra full, so it is designed for Turkey hunting.  Supposedly, when used with Hevi Shot, it can put 95% of of the pellets in a 30inch circle at 40 yards.

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
I dont know about the turkey loads, but i tried some of the goose loads, and let me tell you, It flat lays it to them. I do plan on trying some of the turkey loads for patterns and will hopefully hunt with them if all goes well.

maytom

Reaction score
I do think that this new type of shot has promise. But I have been hearing some conflicting stories about some damage to choke tubes. Funny, but I have yet to hear some concrete answers on what type of choke restriction works best for each size of hevishot. One thing is for sure, you need a more open choke than a super tight turkey choke!!

BirdsnaBadge

Reaction score
I can tell you that the constriction on Remington's HEVI-SHOT choke tube is .675...not alot compared to today's "super" turkey tubes.  Remember though, This stuff behaves alot like steel shot, just ALOT heavier and denser...heavier and denser than lead even!  Steel shot and HEVI-SHOT don't compress the same as lead does, hence the possibilty of ruptured barrels and tubes from an unapproved choke.  Many factory full chokes will say something to the effect of LEAD ONLY.   If your an avid waterfowler or steel shooter, you know that steel usually patterns one step tighter than lead (lead modified is steel full, lead IC is steel modified, and so on and so forth.)  Such is the HEVI-SHOT.  I have contacted HEVI-SHOT directly through email.  Their reply was that HEVI-SHOT should only be fired through steel approved barrels with steel approved chokes.

I've posted this thought on other boards...I wonder how the steel approved waterfowl chokes would work.  In Cabela's, for example, I've seen Carlson brand, steel approved, extended chokes that are designated for "45 yard and longer" shots.  I'd be curious to know what type of a turkey pattern that's be with HEVI-SHOT.  Any waterfowlers out their care to comment?

Eric

BeenGoosed2

Reaction score
Well, I am not the most experienced waterfowler out there, but I have done my share of research on choke tubes.  A very popular one is the Patternmaster choke tube system.  In general, most of the waterfowling tubes give you a modified spread from the tube.  Afterall, you will need a wider shot spread when trying to hit a duck or goose.  

Most turkey hunters want a tight pattern that carries a long distance.  This isn't always the case with waterfowl tubes.  Based on what BirdsnaBadge said, maybe that is why Remington came out with a turkey tube for Hevi Shot --- it appears to be one of the few turkey tubes approved for Hevei Shot (and I assume steel).

Based on what I have heard on waterfowl forums --- Hevi Shot is a God Send.

Top Bottom