HEVISHOT

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I heard that if you are shooting HEVISHOT, you don't need a turkey choke.  Just use a modified choke and it should be fine.

Has anyone tried HEVISHOT yet? HUnted turkey with it or patterned it?
What shot size what you use with this load?

(Edited by bubba at 3:23 pm on Mar. 27, 2002)

TScottW99

Reaction score
Bubba,
 I have spoken to a fellow turkey hunter and read on Nitro's webpage about the hevi-shot.  They both stated that you can use a turkey choke while shooting hevi-shot.  The one man, "preacher" got 242 pellets into his target, a 10" circle, at fourty yards.  Pretty impressive pattern.  I can't remember nitro's newspaper addy right off hand but here's their addy, they have some pretty good info on it. Scott

http://www.nitrocompany.com

P.S. "Preacher" was using a Rhino turkey choke.

Tominator

Reaction score
Bubba, here's what Hevi-Shot has to say about chokes
http://www.hevishot.com/hevishot.html
(when you get there, click on clubhouse)

The condensed version is that if you're shooting waterfowl use amore open choke than you would with steel. If your shooting the turkey loads you can still use the tight chokes because of the buffering that is added to the turkey shells but they still recommend a choke rated for steel shot.
Tominator

(Edited by Tominator at 9:00 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

(Edited by Tominator at 9:01 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

(Edited by Tominator at 9:02 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I was told by Hevi-shot that a standard lead .665 choke would work fine.  I have heard so many conflicting reports about Hevi-shot, I wish I could get some straight info.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
From what I could gather, it appears that a turkey choke is not necessary with Hevi-Shot.  I ordered some Remington Hevishot from Cabelas.  Problem, I'm getting it the day before I leave for the turkey hunt.  Anyways, the manufacturer states to use on chokes approved for steel shot only.

Top Bottom