HEY, ARCH

davered1

Reaction score
Arch,

I went to your  SITE in ArkansasElkHunter 's LED post and have a question about your RS setup.

By the looks of the photo the fresnal lens is still original housing and you have what looks like another glued to door :surprised-purple: , whats up and hows it work?

Thanks,Dave  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi davered1,
The RS sensor is left intact with the lens and PC board all still in the original housing (speaker is removed).  The 'window' that the sensor looks through in the cover is just a flat piece of PolyIR4 material from Fresnel Technologies
http://www.fresneltech.com
I have added some tape to the edges of the window to narrow the field of view.
This setup works well because it doesn't have the problems of improper lens to sensor element distance and lens alignment that can happen when the lens is mounted separate from the original sensor housing.  It's also nice to not mount the sensor on the door and have the wires flexing each time the door is opened and closed.

There is a slight reduction in overall sensitivity with this method - maybe about 5%  But the RS sensor has enough range that this is not a problem.

Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
Thanks  Arch,

That looks like a good way to keep the original lens in PIR, I was sanding down the front of mine to keep use of housing and switch. Your way looks a lot simpler.

Are you partial to the Infinity JR. ? I tried a 3 ,1 no-date that didn't work when I got it, 1 date that I knew was broke but thought I could stuff my 3rd camera(no-date) into it and have a cheap date cam but as you to found out that don't work.

You see the price of those on EBAY latley. When I got mine last year they all went under $10, now they are up about $20-30. INSANE!!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi davered1,
I really like the Infinity Jr - It has all the features needed for a good trail cam.  There is one MAJOR down-side to this camera!!  When I worked on a project several years back, I made 110 trail cams using the Infinity Jr.  The cams themselves suffered a ~12+% breakdown rate after about 1 month of use in the field.  This had no relation to the fact that the cams had been modified.  The film motor drive gears (which are "press fit" onto the motors shaft) would start to slip on the cams that failed.  Fortunately, I was able to fix the cams that developed this problem.

Since any Infinity Jr on the market now is used, this problem should have shown up already on any cam that was going to develope it.  But if you buy a camera that has very little use, this problem could develope after a month or so.  So buying a used Infinity Jr is sort of a gamble.  If you know the cam has been used for several rolls of film, you're probably OK.

Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
ARCH,

Found out about them EASY to strip gears the hard way. I had a film stick on rewind, it rewound down to last couple inches of film so I figured "what can it hurt?". Apparently, it can hurt those little gears alot.

NOW Icut ANY film wherever it is stuck. Might lose those pics but at least it can still take more!!

Thanks for input ARCH

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom