Hey Dodge diesel guys

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 30K and will need a transmission service. How much does your dealer charge? Should I request a complete fluid exchance AND filter change? That is what I'm inclined to do but I know there is debate on the subject. Thanks.

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
Local dealer wanted $240.00 and that was to hook the tranny up to a recycle machine that pulls the ATF fluid out, cleans it, and puts it back into the tranny. Then the dealer adds a additive pack to the tranny. I really didn't like the idea of having used ATF in my truck so I took it to a buddy's tranny shop and he normally charges $180.00 to drain the tranny, change the filter, and then flush the tranny and torque converter with new ATF, for another $40.00 he drains and refills the transfer case...Don't forget that the differentials are supposed to be drained and refilled every 15k (at least on a '03) For that a MAGTECH diff cover makes the job much easier..

DanD

Reaction score
I would only change filter and fluid if it's in good shape. If you have cooked it then I would go with a complete flush. I did not need the bands adjusted so I did it myself, not sure what the dealer charges. In a couple of hours you can knock out the differentials, tranny and transfer case if you have a 4x4. If it's a '04 or newer all the gaskets are reusable if you do not damage them during the removal.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks, diffs are done and the trans case is easy. I'd just like to do the whole flush since I often tow. Cheap insurance if you ask me. There is a lot of conflicting info on the band adjustment, some say Dodge recommends it and some say they don't. I'm not sure what to believe. How would one know if they need to be adjusted? It shifts fine.

DanD

Reaction score
Since you tow it would not be a bad idea to do a complete flush. I would not have the fluid run through some recycle machine and put back in.

I have run into some pretty bad dodge service departments over the years. I would venture to say that it would most likely cost less to have a trusted tranny shop or wrench do the work.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
at 20K I replaced the diff fluid in the front and rear along with adding a Mag Hytec deep cover to the trans. Replaced the fluid and filter as well.
sorry but no cost estimate but I am my own warranty station.

ML

quack_head

Reaction score
If you do a lot of towing with the truck. You might consider a larger pan. Quality filter and oil also. The trans flush and fluid is the same thing as rejuvenated anti freeze. Costs you more than the fluid. Its a scam.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
It's a flush with 100% new fluid. Guy said it takes 18 qts of new fluid to flush, get old fluid out and new in. It's not rejuvenated, it's new.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Nate, look into synthetic if you can with that slush box. Might be a good time for a beefier cooler and in line magnetic filter (change once a year). Have a drain plug installed too, for the future.

All things I did when I had the Powerjoke, it only made me feel better on long hills and hauls.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I totally agree and installed an extra cooler on my Ford too. The cooling systems on those trannys were a joke. This Dodge is way beefier.

Top Bottom