High Desert Hunt Club

Mike C

Reaction score
I received a letter the other day from Lisa McNamee that after 16 years of operation "it is time to move on to another venture" and that the McNamee's have sold the club operation to the Tejon Ranch.

"Current staff will remain on site. Peg will continue to check people in, Forbes will help you through your day in the field, Juanita will cook your lunch, Catarino and Leonel will clean birds, and Lary will board and train dogs."

"The big difference this next season is that Lisa and her Dad will be in the field hunting as well since they are proud owners of a Business Membership to the Club."

Since I have only been a member for the last couple of years I would like to thank Lisa and her Dad and all the staff for a well run operation and the family atmosphere they promote for hunting.

We'll see where it goes from here with the new owners.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
not surprising, I'm sure at one time it was part of Tejon Ranch years ago to begin with, and now that their big dollar hunting opportunities are being expanded, who knows? Maybe it could actually become a "natural habitat" hunting area?

That ranch is more than large enough to develop "fantastic" pheasant fields, liking to the best the "heartland" provides.

There's plenty of canyon, valley bottoms that could be manicured for the purpose!

Years ago, when I was growing up, my uncle's father-in-law bulldozed the hillsides of his 2000 acre SLO county ranch, pushing the brush to the canyon bottom, at each canyon that he built damn earthen waterholes on, and each and every one provided the protection, habitat for all the game.

Fantastic dove shoots, quail shoots, rabbit and deer hunting developed in short time!

The commercial game preserves are pretty cool, but, the waiting lists, costs for memberships and the restrictions are reaching all time highs, which is no good, except of course for the proprietors.

It's too bad to hear of the demise of the HDHC! I'd never gone there, but, thought of it many times and inquired, also read many a good note of the place!

So, hopefully, Tejon ranch will maintain, and/or improve upon the product provided?

Mike C

Reaction score
What happens with cost (membership and hunting fees) with the new owners remain to be seen. Actually if you haven't been there the HDHC is on the south side of 138 near the turn off for the old ridge route past Quail Lake. Not even close to most of the main peoperty of Tejon ranch. The story I heard From staff is that Lisa's Dad found the property and researched who the owners were. Then approached the Tejon Ranch about leasing the property and found out they did even know they owned the property. At least that is how the story goes. Tejon Ranch has always owned the property it was just leased for the HDHC and of course some private use by the operators of the club to hunt other animals besides birds. Of course they invested the $ into the adobe and fixing up the place and making it operational so why not.

My membership next year will depend on economic factors come September.

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Hey Mike Thanks for the post and good to see you again!!

Mike C

Reaction score
Rick
Was a real bussy year last season and didn't get much hunting in. If things go south with the change of ownership at the HDHC I might start looking for alternate places like 4 Seasons. Although it would add and additional 80 miles to the trip.

I didn't even do any Valley Quail last up 33 in Cuyama last year because of the lack of rain. I did spend a lot of time at the Ojai Valley Gun Club shooting skeet busting clays. And did head to El Centro area for Dove.

How's things going with you?

el_vaquero

Reaction score
I'm sure as with similar incidents, the price will probably go up a little and hunters will be treated more like customers. Still, a great company for hunters in SoCal.

Mike C

Reaction score
You are probably correct. And price increases will probably happen. I am woundering about lead free shot for upland game since it is part of Tejon Ranch. But not as yet required by the State.

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I was in the same boat as you except for busting clays. I had another surgery last september and the results were not good this time so was stuck around the house. I took my son a few places so him and the dog could get out I glassed for them and have not shot due to the recoil. But in a pain mgmt thing now and getting it squared away, So time will tell for this next season so thats my story for now.

Take it easy and safe, Rick

Advertisement

Top Bottom