High Desert Quail

dogwillhunt

Reaction score
I headed up to the high desert yesterday around Phelan area. There were Quail EVERYWHERE. It looks like it was a nice winter and spring. Big groups, and lots of them. We saw one covey of at least 40 birds. It was super cool. With any luck the upper desert might be fun this year.

sabbathu

Reaction score
Nice! A co-worker was telling me about that area. Are you talking north of the town in the BLM sections near the Shadow Mountains, or closer to the San Bernardino mountains/forrest?

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
Nice! A co-worker was telling me about that area. Are you talking north of the town in the BLM sections near the Shadow Mountains, or closer to the San Bernardino mountains/forrest?
Welp, Phelan is just north of the San Gabriels Mtns. About 30 min from Shadow Mtns or San Bernardino Mtns.

DWH, were you scouting in huntable areas or just around town?

dogwillhunt

Reaction score
I was up there for other things then scouting. I was on the edge of town near some huntable areas. I’m going to head back up and scout some areas in the next couple of weeks.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
all the quail ive seen in the 909 i saw just one chick. Nothing on game cams either

Archer82

Reaction score
I was in lucerne valley yesterday. only rabbits and a few doves. by 10am all the animal went into hiding, probably because the outside temp hit 100 ha ha.

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I haven't been scouting for Quail in the low desert, but I have seeing lots more than average. My take is there numbers are up. I am no expert on Quail just been seeing a bunch of them with good size broods.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom