Hit up the canals in Blythe today. 5/15/16

Wino

Reaction score
I made a long drive out to Blythe today to walk the canals and shoot some carp. As I was driving thru Palm Desert in a sand storm early this morning I was thinking of turning around. Glad I didn't. Much less wind in Blythe. Very nice temps. I got a little worried after walking the length of my favorite section of this particular canal and not seeing a single fish. So I moved on to my next spot where I usually see both carp and tilapia. No dice here either as it was completely overgrown. I was about to head back to my car when I find a path thru the brush to the water. I come out to a very scummy looking part of this canal. Most of the surface from the shore to about 20 yards out is covered with plastic bottles, trash and duck weed. I was about to turn around and leave when I see the duck weed open up. I see the mouth of a carp sucking on the surface. SWACK! Right in the mouth and out the lower jaw. Like putting it on a stringer.

It was pretty nice size fish. No scale but I'd guess it's would be over 10lbs. Here a pic of it next to the arrow for scale.

After that I went back to the original canal and finally saw some swimming near a siphon. I whacked one there as well.

Then I made a move to an area that looked promising on google maps. I found a small canal connecting to larger ones that ran the length of a farm field. The water here was kinda murky but I could already see carp out in the middle chasing a female. The spawn is on. I walked this canal for about an hour. I head up stream and looked for a trail of silt (smoke trail) coming down the edge of the canals. This would indicate that there was a feeder, up current, on the edge of the canal. Most times I would have to stalk into position, sometimes on my knees, to avoid being detected. Then let the shaft fly. Several times as I was trying to get closer to the feeder, I would spot a group swimming towards me chasing a bigger female. I manage to nail several bigger ones this way today. I ended up with eight. 2 smallish males and the rest bigger females. 2 of those bigger ones had the arrow pull out of them when I tried to lift them out of the water.
Pretty fun day.

Wino

Last edited:

Revo2811

Reaction score
Nice job Wino I will have to try that one day

Man of few words

quaildeath

Reaction score
Chunk them up and bury them in the garden for vegetables next year, especially beef steak tomatoes.
That's what the guys did with trash bags of barracuda from the sports boats. Long skinny trenches for long skinny fish. Easy dig.

fritojay

Reaction score
Hey wino. Do they gave planted grass carp in Blythe like they do here in the imperial valley? I was just wondering if they do how to tell the difference before you sling one at them

Wino

Reaction score
I have never seen one in person but if I look at pictures of them I'd guess I'd would look for a difference in color and shape of head. Also the dorlsfin look pretty short on the grass carp and the mouth is more of a mullet look to it.

Wino

Reaction score
Or I could just leave them out there in the fields for the yotes and buzzards. I buried fish guts and scrapes one time in the garden. What a [email protected]#%ing disaster. My dog kept dogging in the garden. The Neighborhood cats kept digging in the garden. Skunks kept digging in the garden.
No thanks. I'll just buy a bag of miricle grow.

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
Wino:
Heard anything on the Catfish bite at the river while you were out in that area?

Wino

Reaction score
Nope. I didn't talk to anyone so I wouldn't know. I did see my usual random channel cat swimming by.

k_rad

Reaction score
Nice job man 8 in one day is a nice haul! Tons of them now in LA river. Trying to get on them with fly gear but they are more interested in spawning like you mentioned.
KR

Wino

Reaction score
There was a bunch of guys fishing them on flies at Lake Henshaw last time I was there. I don't know what type of fly they are using but they were getting them. I was gonna ask them but I don't think they like me shooting in the same area they were fishing. Come to think of it, I don't think they liked me period.

SoCalbowfisher05

Reaction score
Are you allowed to shoot any of the canals in Blythe? Thinking about trying it out one time just looking for some info on the canals

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
FYI...next time PM me and I'll meet ya in Riverside and do the driving so you can relax and save the fuel cost. Been dying to head down there but prefer company on trips like this. A little competition adds to the overall experience and besides...people look at me funny when I talk to myself. Could be due to the accents of some of the voices.

augnmike

Reaction score
Kody, yes you can fish Highline Canal and any of the others down there but we might as well go to Yuma in the boat next spring when it's not 120 degrees

Top Bottom