Hog Down

MX283

Reaction score
I got my first hog and first big game animal on Thursday last week. We went out to a friends ranch to hunt the last few hours of daylight and my roommate and I both bagged a boar. Mine weighed 150lbs and my roommates was 140lbs. I borrowed my buddies Browning Abolt in .300 wsm and it did the job, although I did end up demolishing one of his hams.

Hopefully I can figure out how to post a picture properly.

Thanks for looking!

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
way to pack the pork my man!! first big game animal..get ready for a natural addiction!!! how about a story to go with the money shot???

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Awesome work. You'll always remember your first. :toast-yellow:

huntingbret

Reaction score
Congrats! First ones are always the hardest. Now it should be easy sailing from here, hopefully LOL.

Rampage1

Reaction score
Congrats on your first pig, there's no turning back now!

hunterdoug

Reaction score
nice job on you first one and thanks for breaking the doldrums with the money shot story? buddy pic ?

MX283

Reaction score
Here's the story, it's not too exciting, but here it is (I won't tell about my roommates because he might post it on here).

We were walking through the ranch as the sun was about to set. We spotted two hogs at the top of a small hill to the west of us. They were casually walking away from us. I knew they would drop out of sight for a minute and then walk back into view as they headed up the next hill to the west. I set up for the shot so that I was ready when they came back into view. I only had a few seconds when they came back into view before they crested the hill they were on. If they made it over that hill I knew I would never see them again.

I lined up the shot and fired....and missed. I quickly put another round in the chamber and fired again just as they crested the top of the hill. My buddy heard a "thwack" and was pretty sure I had connected. After a little while we headed up the hill and found my hog about twenty yards past the top of the hill where I had shot him. The shot was about 200 yards, uphill, as they were walking quickly away from us.

The hog I killed weighed 150lbs on the scale but the one that was right next to him running up the hill made mine look small! I was looking for a good eating pig so only had my eye on the smaller one I shot.

sancho

Reaction score
fantastic!

get ready for a sick addiction. best to hide the hunting catalogs from the missus.

559hog

Reaction score
Awesome! Like everyone said, get ready for an addiction :). I was hooked after I killed my first deer, it just got worse as I moved over to the darkside of archery :devil-flamin:.

Tinknocker101

Reaction score
Way to go on your 1st hog. I am sure you're hooked. Nice post. :toast-yellow:

MX283

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am definitely hooked but I already was before I even killed one. I almost had one last year at the same ranch and I have been on a mission ever since. I put many miles on my boots over the winter on public land looking for hogs, found tons of fresh sign, but I haven't come across any yet. My next goal is to get one on public land.

porker

Reaction score
MX283, I live above Chico and am wondering what public lands you have tried hunting for hogs?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom