Hog Hunitng Video

g-hog

Reaction score
Hey All, Not sure how many of you have seen this video of hog hunting from a helicopter. Take a look at it. I would like your opinion or maybe an explanation of this. At first I thought this video was cruel and disturbing and very unethical. I have only been hunting hogs for about a year now but love it. Then thought well maybe someone owns this ranch and all these hogs were destroying his land so he decided to clean them out in a hurry. It looks like this was filmed either in Texas or some state out west. Sure is a lot of wasted meat anyway you look at it.

GHog

Helicopter Hog Hunt

Shot

Reaction score
Man, what a waste! Sure is a sad thing to see, and I am a hunter saying that, imagine a tree hugger.

If the pigs are destroying someones land (income) then I understand, but it still doesn't look good on video.

m57jager

Reaction score
I think it's ok for nuisance animals or military training but it sure aint hunting. I just hope that ground crews salvage and donate the meat. Sure is a big waste otherwise.

Greenleaf

Inactive
Reaction score
I just wonder what he's using to shoot them. He's shooting fairly fast which probably rules out a gun with alot of recoil.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
How do they even remember where each pig was down and retrieve them?

L2H

jdhowe75

Reaction score
MY GRANDFATHER HAS SOME PROPERTY THAT WAS BEING RUINED BY HOGS. HE HIRED A VOLUNTEER GROUP OF HUNTERS TO HARVEST THE MEAT AND DONATE TO THE LESS FORTUNATE. IT SEEMS THAT IF SERVICES LIKE THIS ARE AROUND, THAT MILITARY TRAINING OR DEPREDATION HUNTING BY HELICOPTER IS A WASTE.

JUST MY

-jd

broknwavs

Reaction score
My understanding on this video is that it was filmed in Australia. They apparently have a huge Hog problem that only way to trim them down is what you saw in the video. The hogs are killing off native plants which in turn destroy the natural habits of native animal species.
I wonder if they pick these dead animals up and send the meat to the shelters? I could be wrong but looking into this that is the common answer I found.

larrysogla

Reaction score
As I remember, the only restriction in Texas hog hunting is, no poison is allowed, but everything else goes. The sagebrush landscape looks very Texas. A few years back, the State of Alaska proposed thinning out the wolf population to help out the moose population(out of state hunter dollar income for Alaska) & the animal lovers shut down that proposal. That news article mentioned that the proposed wolf thinning out was supposed to be accomplished with aircraft & with shotguns as the weapon. Many years ago when I was still reloading, Unique pistol/shotgun powder produced a lot of gunsmoke. I watched this video twice & the gunsmoke is a lot. Also, there is no visible(not to me anyway) dust or dirt cloud from the bullet strikes(as will be evident from a high powered rifle bullet). He must be shooting a semi-auto shotgun loaded with buckshot & smoky shotgun/pistol powder. Must be some irate farmer, finally decided to eliminate the Roto-tillers, fence jumpers(oh yes, them pigs can jump a 5 ft. fence), crop mowers roaming the neighborhood. Not only will they eat the hay, but the ground will be Roto-tilled too.Wish we could get invited to that neighborhood.
larrysogla.

LeeChul

Reaction score
What do you mean it's ok for if it's Military training? BS, that shouldn't be happening, even if the pigs are tearing up the land, there are better ways to handle it!! The Militaty has the time to set up targets, they don't need to be wasting live animals that way. That's like saying if a deer walks out on a shooting range while soldiers are in training, that it would be ok to shoot it. NOT!!!!!!!!!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
That's not a hog "hunting" video. That's a hog eradication video. There's no hunting involved there.

Sorry to take this to a semantics level, but the very idea that this is hunting...

G-hog, where'd this come from? Any explanation on the source site about what's supposed to be going on? It would sure be good to include that information with the video.

Hogs are destructive pests, and in some places the best response is eradication. Can't knock that from an economic and environmental perspective. But just like any other pest control, wholesale aerial slaughter is no more related to hunting than an exterminator spraying the cockroaches under your house. Call it what it is.

g-hog

Reaction score
Speck, This video came from a site that just has all kinds of short video clips. Some are funny, some are just gross. I just happen to stumble across this video and found it disturbing. No I would not call this hunting either, at least this is not what my father taught me about hunting. It came with no explanation. I was just curious if anyone had seen anything like this or could offer an explanation of why anyone do this to that many pigs with no sign of any ground crew to recover the hogs. Thats enough meat to provide a salvation army with several weeks worth of pork chops!!! Just a shame to see it all wasted, if that is what happened. As for calling it what it is, I agree with you 100% I just typed in the same name the file was called and didn't give that much thought, as I said I was hoping someone here could help explain it. If I came off as condoning it......I don't

GHog

pbrdog

Reaction score
The military doesn'y make it a practice to go out and shoot animals. No Commanding Officer in his right mind would condone such actions. At least within the last 15 years. Everything has to be politically correct now.

superduty

Reaction score
I noticed on one of the last ones it was hit in the hind quarters and dragging itself for cover. They doubled back to finish it off. I suppose if they were just out to kill with no care it could have been left at this time and moved on saving ammo for future shots. I don't know why any of this was being done, where it was done, or why it was even filmed but I can say I wouldn't take any pride in myself for being involved with anything like that unless it was absolutely neccessary for land owner reasons and well planned out for recovery of the meat for some ethical use. Any other thought just makes me sick to my stomach.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by pbrdog@Jul 31 2004, 09:18 AM
The military doesn'y make it a practice to go out and shoot animals. No Commanding Officer in his right mind would condone such actions. At least within the last 15 years. Everything has to be politically correct now.
I don't know if it's been over 15 years ago. But the Navy use to do air gunnery practice on the Spanish goats at San Clemente Island annually. They would kill hundreds at a time.
Civilian gunners did the same thing on Catalina Island at the request of the "Island Conservancy".

nofear25

Reaction score
That clip sucked... What a waste of meat.... I hope treehuggers dont see that vid. b/c it will be just one more thing they can use against hunters....

Docwells2000

Reaction score
Just a guess here, but it looks like Fort Hood, Texas and the way that helo is banking during some of those shots I really wonder if that is a civilian. The average Joe is not going to peg a pig on a 30+ degree bank from a helicopter...

Speckmisser

Reaction score
G-hog,

Didn't mean to imply that you condoned it... from your post it's pretty clear that you don't.

For what it's worth, I'd say it's a professional sharpshooter, either military or civilian who is treating a pest problem. There are a LOT of hogs in that video, and without knowing anything else about it, it looks to me like simple extermination.

Is it a shame to waste all that meat? Sure. But having seen the damage a herd of pigs can cause to a crop field, it might be justified (again, knowing NOTHING about the background of the video). Hogs are an invasive species, and in some cases extreme measures have to be taken. So from that perspective, I really can't find fault with (my interpretation of) the actions being portrayed in the clip.

Like Superduty mentioned, it didn't look like blatant cruelty or mindless slaughter. The shooter was putting finishing shots into crippled hogs, which couldn't have been easy. It looked about as "humane" as that kind of shooting can be. Some jerk who was only out for kicks would've simply left them squealing and crippled. This guy was definitely a professional.

As sportsmen, this video bugs us because we only see the waste. And of course, there's nothing sporting about what's going on in the video.... but I don't think it's supposed to be sporting. It's just somebody doing their job.

I guess what I'm saying is, it sucks that some website is going to be parading this around as a "hunting" video, when there's nothing of hunting in it. And people are going to see it who, unlike us, don't have a grasp on the distinction. It's a shame that this kind of video clip is out there at all, much less without explanation, and open for interpretation by a lot of folks who don't know any better.

But I guess that's life on the Internet.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
Speck.. Well put!! If you have not seen first hand what a group of say 10 hogs can do to a crop field, it is absolutely amazing!! In one night they can destroy more land than you can imagine.. You combine that with no rain, etc.. and these farmers are hard pressed to make a living.. We eliminate any hogs that we see on my uncles ranch because of this.. They have over 15,000 acres and a lot of hogs that tear up a LOT of land. We eat a few of them, give a lot of them away, and sometimes have to leave them lay for lack of time to do anything with them during farming season.. I hope these guys salvaged a few of these hogs for the needy...

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Mere pikers. YOu should have seen the F-14s take out the goats on San Clemente ISland back in the early 80s with 20mm cannon fire. After PETA filmed the Tomcat fighters red misting the goats Sec. of Defense Cap Weinburger had the Navy stop the gunnery practice.

THen there was thee F-4 Phantom in Vietnam waxing an elephant with a guy on top of it with a missle. The guy on top was half way to heaven after the missle blew up. IT scattered that elephant over half an acre.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom