• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Hog Hunting

slim_2181

I m trying to get my son into hunting. He really wants to go and said he wanted to go Hog hunting with me. Since the Hog hunting on base is no more and I think the last hog taken was in May is there any places around to hunt hogs that wont cost me an arm n a leg. They average guided hog hunt seems to be $500 that crazy to think folks pay that much to hunt pigs.

canamrider07

I would not try and get your son into hunting by starting with expensive guided hunts. If you haven't yet take him target shooting. Kids now a days need lots of action. Bring a few different type of guns to shoot and see if he likes that. If you are close to a National Forest you can start hunting with rabbits and squirrels. Quail and Dove hunting are great for kids to.

TheGDog

Hehe... start him off hunting Rabbits with a .22 LR (or a .22 AirRifle than can do at least 1000fps with lead pellets). That will quickly expose him to both action and frustration and teach him the importance of the stalk and the importance of using his binos. And make sure it's a bolt-action (or break-barrel) so there's that pressure to make every shot count. The young ones are all about instant gratification, depending on his age and maturity level/patience level... you could be setting yourself up for a headache of a day filled with whining if ya try to go right for the bigger game with him.

Does he watch videos showing how hunters have to glass a lot and hike a lot? And how hunters have to sit still for long periods of time? You probably want to make sure he has a very realistic idea of what to expect before you even take him out. Explain how most outings you're not going to find the quarry... but that every time you learn more about finding them, and put together more pieces of that puzzle.

In the beginning I'd also say use that opportunity to teach him how to properly guesstimate realistically just how much water he's going to need to carry for the length of ground you intend to cover with each outing. 'Cause I mean... with persistance... the game will come in time... but in the meantime ya wanna teach him that way of thinking ahead of time about the outing and being totally prepared for it with what's in his pack and stuff. Getting him used to looking at overhead maps and topo maps and google maps ahead of time. Picking the right kinda clothing. Over time learning which food products don't work so great to bring when hunting. All that stuff.

Revo2811

I would start by spending time in the range and the field. Nothing more satisfying than finding an animal/s yourself.
take him upland bird hunting.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

First of all how old is your son. Does he have anykind of weapon experience at all yet and does he have the patience to listen and follow directions if u take him out hunting.
in cali 500 is cheap for a hog hunt so good luck on finding anything that much cheaper and worthy.
Yep like everyone suggested get him out to pubic land first to feel things out with your sons ambition to hunt and get some experience on what to expect and how to anylize how to react how to pursue game and non game animals in their habitat. The woods is the woods no matter if pubic or private and it will give u and your son a chance to bond stronger and share quality time with each other in the woods hunting or not till u figure things out. Hope everything works out for u and your son.
Well Good luck anyways in trying to find a cheap hog hunt in cali u would probably have better luck winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning first before that happpens.......lol......tra

RUGAME

I m trying to get my son into hunting. He really wants to go and said he wanted to go Hog hunting with me. Since the Hog hunting on base is no more and I think the last hog taken was in May is there any places around to hunt hogs that wont cost me an arm n a leg. They average guided hog hunt seems to be $500 that crazy to think folks pay that much to hunt pigs.
There are pigs on VAFB they have killed pigs in the last few months try C-6, C-1 be patience good luck

ltdann

c-6? Really? I've not heard of pigs being in that area....interesting. Where? up by barka slough?

Top Bottom