Hole alignment for non traditional boxes

Muddy Z

Reaction score
How do you guys with the ammo cans or other "top" opening enclosures figure out how to mount and drill all your stuff in the box? Seems like it would be very difficult to align everything and securing the pieces in that narrow of an enclosure would be tough.

Just thinking of a cheap box cause I am going to do a digital next but I have a 35mm all wired up and ready to go. I don't want to drill holes in my pelican case because I am thinking the sensor I have on my 35 mm is a junker and I will end up wasting the box.

Any thoughts?

Muddy Z

Reaction score
Outhouse thanks for the links. Those will be great for the typical cases such as my Pelican 1060 which have the lid on the "front/back" of the box when using it for a cam.

But right now I am thinking about an ammo can case. Since the lid on the ammo can would be on "top" when situated as a game cam, there would not be a way to see through the "front/back" of the can to align the laser or plum.

Stever

Reaction score
I did this today and it worked then I seen the other ways, oh well it did work just fine.

I laid a piece of overhead clear plastic over the cam, controller etc. I then marked the spots with a marker while looking though the plastic.

Laid plastic on the lid and drilled away.

Born2huntnVa

Reaction score
Muddy Z

My First two cameras were and still are mounted in an ammo can. I used a piece of cardboard that was cut to match the same size as the side panel on the can. I then marked the cardboard and cut the holes in the cardboard and used it as a template for the cans. I even cut the holes with a hole saw bit in my drill. The cardboard worked the best for me, but others may have a better way. Cardboard boxes are cheap to come by and if you make a mistake its easy to try again. Just make sure your happy with the layout before you transfer the template to the can.
I still have my original template to go by. I used the RS PIR and the Canon Owl PF on my first two cameras. I did a horizontal box first and then a veritical box next. Hope this helps.

Dave

RidgeRunner

Reaction score
I second born2huntnva's method thats what i have done. works good

RidgeRunner

Latest Posts

Top Bottom