Hole size for flash on OWL PF?

cgchris99

Reaction score
How big a hole should I make the flash hole?

Should I try to make it oval instead of round?

Thanks

gizz

Reaction score
Hi cgchris99, I use a 1" round hole for the Flash. I also use the silver metallic duct tape around a thin piece of foam to seal between the camera and the glass. Sort of end up with a silver doughnut looking thing. You can probably use any shape of hole to fit your housing and design.

springdrl

Reaction score
Pretty sure mine is a 1 inch hole as well. I was very surprised at the range of the flash in the PF camera. I used foam rubber to block off the flash from reflecting back onto the lens opening. I was able to get a high-quality lens from a local camera shop for only five bucks to seal over opening for the camera lens. He had a box full of them that he considered almost "throw away" lenses.

homer

Reaction score
I like to make my flash hole about 1"x1.5" wide so that it will cast more light to the sides. I don't know if it make any difference but that how I do it.

Possum

Reaction score
Mine is around 1.25 " wide.  I was using .75 because That is the hole cutter I had.  The light was strong right in front but weak on the sides.  The bigger hole did make a difference.  I was using the OWL.  I just bought two OWL PF's.  Will post the difference in a few weeks.  I'm sure it will be substantial.

bigmandude

Reaction score
i use a 1-1/4" hole and use 1" pipe insulation behind it with aluminum foil as a reflector on the sides

Latest Posts

Top Bottom