Holly got to be there...

MBullism

Reaction score
After 5 years dating, twelve years of marriage and two kids, my wife said she would like to go turkey hunting with me to see what all the fuss was about (to see what gets me so stoked).  She was supposed to go Monday, opening day, but was sick and couldn’t.  It’s just as well, it was rainy and lousy ‘round these parts and I didn’t hear or see nothin’.

I’ve hunted hard all week through rain and wind to 50 mph and have done well to hear a few unwilling gobbles…  This morning she geared up in some of my old camo and tagged along.  We walked several of the same haunts I’ve worked all week and after an hour got a weak gobble/response some 6-800 yards away.  We had to cover some ground across a ridge, skirt a swamp and set up on the edge of a small greenfield.  After several moves, lots of hard calling and the patience of job I called three birds from off limits property, behind someone’s house, across a  street and up the lower field 200 yards wide…  they came on the run!  We had to dive into a wind break of saplings between the upper fields and set up fast.  Long story short, they popped through a cut in the stonewall 20 feet in front of my Mrs., and instantly put the brakes on.  The hen that they were positive was right there was nowhere to be seen (no time to setup a decoy).  I picked out the biggest one in the scope but couldn’t make they shot ‘cause they were too close together.  When the “bigger” one in the back finally stepped clear I sealed the deal, and you’d about thought my wife had hit the lottery!  She was completely pumped, and I don’t think the smile left her face for about four hours…

I can’t begin to explain how happy I am that I finally bagged a bird this year and she was there to share it.  It’ll probably make her a little more understanding of my passion to be huntin’.  My only regret is the birds were so nervous that without a decoy for distraction I didn’t dare try to get them to gobble or fan in front of her.  No problem, she already wants to go again…

Not the biggest bird I’ve ever shot, but every bit the memory.

M

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Thats GREAT!!! Glad she liked it,Now next year she will want all her own gear and will probable out hunt you,Thats ok though you may end up with the best hunting partner of all!

woodsman

Reaction score
Congrats ! MB ,I wish I had that luck .
I must have circled the globe twice this
morn, I was the onley turkey in the woods .
:toothless:

Gun Docc

Reaction score
way to go MBullism,

Now thats hunting !!!

congrat's on the bird and the new hunting partner, you know your in for it now....lol

but there is nothing like someone to share your hunts and the memories with

killinturks

Reaction score
man, that is gonna turn out to be one expensive outing. now you gotta buy a new shotgun,decoys, calls,camo, and all the miscelleneous toys that go along with the sport to outfit your new partner. congratulations!!!! a good hunting partner is one of the best aspects of the sport.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
GOOD JOB!!! I have tried to get my wife to go but she hasn't yet. I'm glad she enjoyed it. sounds like that was a good hunt. I'm glad she was there to share it with you. Now if we can just get more women and childeren in the woods we all will be better off. LOL

MBullism

Reaction score
I don't think this should be too expensive, LOL,  I've already got way too much gear anyway.  Splitting my current stuff in half would be a great excuse to buy more stuff for me!

I've been trying to justify buying a smaller gun anyway, something she could use and the kids could grow into.  Mine are all too long in the stock.... Something semi auto maybe to reduce recoil, etc.  Course for her, it'll have to be peerty, something with engraving and fancy wood... and some chrome maybe...  uh, this IS starting to sound expensive!  LOL

M

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey dude!  Congratulations.  It sounds like you really convinced her that turkey hunting can be fun and exciting.  But now she'll expect all hunts to go that well.

MBullism

Reaction score
Bald Eagle-

I don't think that'll be a problem, she's seen me come home emptyhanded with nothing to tell often enough, LOL.  And I told her when we left that morning that we were probably going on a nice walk before breakfast!  She knows I had about 25 to 30 hours into the previous five days before my "plan" came together...

M

Welby

Reaction score
Great story!  I am glad to hear she had a good time.  Wish I could get my wife to go.

My wife and early mornings don't go together.  Neither do she and weeds, she and mud, she and ticks, she and snakes, she and patience....ha ha ha!!!  She's patient at home, but she wouldn't be in the woods.  I thought I'd better correct that.

Just the thought of my wife trying to cross a creek gets me tickled, much less skirting a snaky swamp.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
Welby - I appears that we got two from the same litter.  On weekends mine gets up at the crack of noon.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great hunt MBullism. Wiat till she has one gobble the leaves off the trees next to her.

Bald Eagle, Crack of noon, hehe

MBullism

Reaction score
She already has Spectre!  They crossed the lower field and came right up to the stone wall just below us, maybe thirty feet from her they gobbled over one another trying to locate the "hen"...  I yelped back on my mouth diaphram and they didn't answer me.  Ten seconds later they were through the wall break....

M

Lankyman

Reaction score
MBullism,

That's great that you experienced that with your wife.  Congrats on the bird.  Sounds like she's hooked for life.  I know that it didn't take much to get me into it 20+ years ago.  I don't even want to think about what I have spent since I started huntin' & fishin'.  I know that I could buy a good size house, I am sure.  Oh well, got to spend it on something.  I guess that is the main reason that I am 30 years old and still single.  Thank the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!!!!!

(Edited by Lankyman at 9:14 pm on May 19, 2002)

Tominator

Reaction score
I told y'all Lankyman was wise. Great story MB! Don't try the hand-me-down method for long, it only delays the inevitable and causes grief! Especially if you replace them with new stuff for yourself.
Tominator

killinturks

Reaction score
yep, now im buying fishing stuff for 4 folks stead of one, bad thing is the one kid gots better stuff  than me. they like the good stuff too. Lankyman how old you gotta be to hunt there, you must have started when you were 8 or 9 if your only 30. gotta be 12 here.

MBullism

Reaction score
Hey Tominator-

This sounds like it's opened up a whole new avenue!  I ran out of good gift ideas awhile ago!... Let's face it, with birthdays, xmas, anniversary, mother's day...twelve years eats up the standard gift ideas.  "Look honey, Merry Christmas... New insulated bib overalls in advantage brown", LOL.  Ya, that'll go over big  :nope-blue:

I'm still tryin' to weasel another long gun into the house... This could work...

M

killinturks

Reaction score
i dont think a guy needs to weasel one in. once you have so many i think they dont notice new ones. lol

MBullism

Reaction score
killinturks-

You are so right, LOL.  I know a guy who got a new gun this spring, bagged two birds, showed his wife the pics of the first one (him holding the gun), had her take pics of the second one (him holding the gun), and spent over a half an hour cleaning it on the kitchen table in front of her... It's as if he's had it for years! LOL, and the damn thing is very distinctive.

Me, I'm not the sneaky type...the wrath usually isn't worth the reward...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom