Home Brew Cases

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking seriously of building a small vacuum forming table and making some of my own cases out of polystyrene or recycled HDPE. Has anyone ever tried it?

Butch

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone doing that, I remember Welby said he used fiberglass and made some tho.

Can you make hinged doors, etc with that stuff?  I don't know a think about the process

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
I think it could be done.  Don't know the limitations to the process, however.  But I can definitely see the advantages!  Let us know how you make out with it!!

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Will do. Right now I'm trying to locate a supplier for the plastic which won't charge 3 times the cost of the plastic in shipping, and figure out how to hide this from my wife so she doesn't kill me.

Butch

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
******, Just think of it like a cam and hide it. Maybe even some urban camo.HeHe Let us know if you do start making them.LOL

Rooter

Reaction score
I would think that would be pretty expensive...fun, but expensive.  I had thought of making a mold of camera out of clay and then getting a type of plastice that could be placed over it and when heated it would conform to the mold.  I would have an exact mold of the camera.  The problem is it is just plain easier to go and buy a pelican or other comparable case.  

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I used to work at a kayak shop where we had a thermal vacuum table for molding the plastic seats, thigh braces, etc. Our molds were made of aluminum, some were made of fiberglass/bondo. I think the hardest part for you is going to be heating the plastic in a uniform fashion. We had heaters that would heat the plastic on both sides, we would use a 4 x 4 hard sheet  of plastic, and would heat it until the plastic developed a big "belly", then moved the heaters, and raised the "table" with the mold on it, up into the hot plastic, and then turn on the vacuum, and let it cool. We made this thermal form machine, but it was big, and expensive. Good luck to you if you decide to do it!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Okay, how do they make bubble gum hollow on the inside?   Ha Ha,  I don't have a clue how do they do that?

Tinhorn

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
3/16 H.I. Polystyrene in sheet form. Build Vaccume forming table w/ shopvac for vaccum. Build frame and heat plastic on rack in oven until it bellys. Table only needs to be 18" square. Plaster of paris mold or somethig else. Sooner or later I'm going to try it. Already found a source of plastic.

Butch

bradjenkins

Reaction score

Next time you go to the dentist, ask him if he has a vacuum former.  I hink this would give you a miniture version of what you are trying to build.  I will graduate from dental school in may and have tried to figure out how to do the same thing.  You may try to make your mold using dental stone or plaster.  You could probably buy that from your dentist also.  You just mix it with the appropriate amount of water and it hardens very well.  Keep us posted!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom