Home DIY Shotgun Range

Jack Ryan

Any one else have your own clay thrower? I've got one runs off a car battery. I set it up in one of those metal garden wagons to pull around behind the lawnmower. The wagon carries everything ya need, extra clays, guns, shells.

The cord to launch a target is 15 yards long so the other day I set up a range I been considering for years. Used the cord to scribe a circle around the trap and then marked off the stations like the numbers of a clock. So one shot at the trap in the center and then two from each station makes a full round of 25.

Sounds like fun but that thing is a lot harder than I thought it would be. One time around and I got to make some adjustments dude!

Need to throw them higher to see. To many positions where you can't find the clay against the trees in the background is the biggest mistake I think so far. But is tuff.

Try it out if you have a trap and see what you think. I think it will be good sporting clays practice since it gives you about every presentation there is.

Farallon

I drilled and attached fasteners to a 2x6, for a manual thrower. The 2x6 was long enough to put the front wheel of a truck to act as an anchor.

I used to let new hunters learn to shoot shotguns with that rig. Usually, same direction, angle, to let the shooter see the target, cover, pull trigger, success.

Limited Out

I have a Wheely Bird 12v w/ push button trigger electric model, works good and is pretty trouble free and reasonably priced. I just throw it in the back of my p.u. and take it where I want to shoot. Hook it up to a garden tractor battery and away you good!

Jack Ryan

I drilled and attached fasteners to a 2x6, for a manual thrower. The 2x6 was long enough to put the front wheel of a truck to act as an anchor.

I used to let new hunters learn to shoot shotguns with that rig. Usually, same direction, angle, to let the shooter see the target, cover, pull trigger, success.
I had one of the spring operated manual traps for years and years. Used it even after I bought the electric trap. I made a sort of mount for it with a seat and it fit in the Reese hitch on a truck. It had a couple "legs" shaped like a V sort of and I put it in the hitch, flopped down the legs and just backed up a few inches to set those in the ground and put a load on it. That thing was set solid like it was in concrete.

Top Bottom