Homebrew Cam

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Great site Jesse, thanks for sharing all of your ideas.  I am just about ready to start making my cam, and I have everything to make it with a few things.  I will be putting this on a bear bait stand in Alaska.  Do I need the daytime only sensor?  And I am a bit confused on the parts I need for the timer.  I am using a 12V battery, do I need Kevin's parts or do I need to get the 2 stage timer fromt the website you suggest?  Thanks, Jim

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Wlecome dalliwacker,

I would run the camera 24 house since you don't know when a bear will hit the bait. Definately put the camera in a metal housing to keep the bears out.

For a timer, Marty has the simplest and cheapest timer design, but I beleive it's only good for about 4 or 5 minutes maximum delay. If your bears hang around longer than that and you don't want multiple pics of the same bear go with one of Kevin's or Tinhorn's timers. Kevin has the timer boards already to go where with Tinhorn's design you have to figure out how to lay it out on a circuit board.

We only had 1 bear pic in the last year from BullMoose some more bear pics would be great.

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Jesse

Well, I did the majority of the work last night.  Everything works, with the exception of the timer, only because I don't have one yet.  I tried the tape over the sensor and switching the PIR to auto, but it didn't work for me either.  All I have to do now is cut everything to fit into the ammo can.  What is the difference between the timer on Quality Kits and Kevin's timer?  I'd like to finish this project ASAP as bear season is right around the corner.  If all goes well, I should fill your site up with many bear pics.  Last year I had a griz take my 30 GL drum from the tree I had it chained to.  I would of loved to got a pic of the bruin that did it, as I never did find the bait drum, and I searched for HOURS.  Thanks again for the help.  Jim

wfontjr

Reaction score
dalliwacker
if you are interested tinhorn and welby have a one shot timer for the ms20, you can place the ms20 in auto, when the sensor trips the timer will fire the camera for four seconds and will not reset until the sensor clears whichs is a 1.5 min delay after motion stops, you have to cut out the light sensor to work in the day, the schematic i think is on page 20 on the tennesse deer forum, if you can not find it let me know and i will post it here

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
dalliwacker,

Here is the one shot timer Tinhorn and Welby figured out. You'll have to get the parts and wire it up on a circuit board.

This timer is an adaptation of the timer found on page 13 of the Radio Shack manual "Timer, Op Amp, & Photoelectronic Circuits & Projects" by Forrest Mims, III. This timer will prevent the cameras from automatically shutting down, which is usually caused by an animal keeping the PIR tripped for more than three minutes. What's more (and this is the best part), if you are using the MS20 sensor, you can clip the photoeye and switch the unit to "Auto" and take advantage of its time delay feature which is approximately 1.0 to 1.5 minutes.

Trevor Saxon

Reaction score
Wfrontjr, Would you please post that timer thing for the MS20? I cant find it at tndeer. Thanks

wfontjr

Reaction score
its the one spectr17 posted above, i have wired two with no major problems,
r1=100k
r2, r3 = 47k
r4=1 m
c1= 10uf
c2=0.01uf
c3=0.0047uf
d1, d2 = 1n914
relaly= 5 to 9v

i believe jesse meant 1.5 minutes on the delay using the auto position

(Edited by wfontjr at 3:37 pm on Mar. 20, 2001)

(Edited by wfontjr at 3:40 pm on Mar. 20, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
This may have been covered about 2 message boards and 250 pages ago but - Thanks to Tinhorn and most likely a bunch of others, I was able to mess around with "R26" on the MS20 and found that for every 80k or so that you increase this resistor you gain about 3 to 4 seconds in test mode. Here's what I've tried:
100k = 9 seconds
180k = 12 seconds
270k = 16 seconds
You could tailor this thing to give you whatever time you want between pics in "test" mode by playing with this resistor. You could do the same with the R25 value for "auto mode". Using Welby/Tinhorn timer with this combination you could have a nice simple 2 setting customized switch.
The initial values for the MS20 are:
R25 (2.2M) is used for Auto Timing
R26 (33K) is used for Test Timing

(Edited by gizz at 9:47 pm on Mar. 20, 2001)

Coal30

Reaction score
i got my first homebrew cam built today works Great
going to test it tomorrow Wish me luck   yea haa !!!

also  have a ?  if i put plexie glass over the flash and lens will the picture come out clear ?

BlackWater

Reaction score
Congrats,

if you can use clear glass, it obvious is clearer and won't scratch. Carrying your cam back and forth will eventually scratch up that Plexi.

gizz

Reaction score
geez coal30, that was fast. So ya built your first one and saved all the earnhardt memorabilia? Good Job, now go get some pics!

(Edited by gizz at 7:20 pm on July 16, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Coal30 - Congratulations...I use 1/16" plexiglass, because it's unbreakable & flexible. If the camera lens window is on the outside of the enclosure, and the flash window is on the inside of the enclosure you don't have to worry about white-out from the flash. What enclosure did you use?

Top Bottom