homebrew cameras

C

coop

Is anyone out there attempting to develop plans for any cameras other than the Canon and Olympus cameras listed on this sight?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi coop,
Check this thread for some info on other cams:
http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/i...11&topic=34

Also, if you review the previous pages of this forum you'll find several references to other cams people have tried.

Since there have been many people making home-made trail-cams for several years now and they all seem to pick the same cams, that's probably a good indication that the Owls and Infinity Jr are good choices.
There are probably 2 or 3 other cams on the market that would be as easy as the Canon Owls and the Olympus Infinity Jr, but it gets sort of expensive to keep buying cams on speculation.

Maybe you could ask people at the various photography newsgroups to test their Point&Shoot cams to try and determine if they'll work as trail-cams.  Since this can be an involved process, probably not many people will be willing...but it can't hurt to try!

Archilochus

bradleydale

Reaction score
Hi Archilochus,
Is there an easy way to check these cameras or does a guy need to disect one to find out??
I've thought about emailing camera companies but I'm not sure how or what to ask them to make myself clear on what we need.
My only drawback to using the owls is I would like a little more compact camera since I have some cases that would fit a slightly smaller camera...but I have 3 owls just because I know they work.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Movement Camera Required Features:

The Camera "Push Button" needs to be a "Switch" instead of a "Mechanical" Lens Release

Leaving the Flash "on" is not too hard on the Cam Batt's

"No" Shutdown Feature (some cams have this feature to save Battery's, they shutsdown after a couple min's of non use)

Fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble

Relatively Cheap Point & Shoot (motorized, etc)

Preferable, not have the 1 or 2 sec delay like the PF does

What'd I Leave Out?

Tinhorn

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
That seems like a good list, Tinhorn.  The only other thing I like to have in a camera is the date imprint.  The Owl PF is so popular because it accomplishes all of these and also has a very strong flash (a definate bonus).  I just wish it didn't have that 1 or 2 second delay that you mentioned.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
All that and a the Swedish Bikini Team to help you learn how to operate the camera.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Ohhh yes - the bikini team would certainly be of great assistance. Don't know that I'd get many pics though  ;)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The only thing I'd add to Tinhorns' list is that the camera should have low power consumption even when the flash is off.  Tried a few cams that drained their batts in ~30 hours even with flash off.

Archilochus

ricky reeves

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which relays I need from Radio Shack for 6-volt operation of homebrew cameras?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
275-0232    Reed Relay  5 volt coil        

Welcome to the Site!

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom