Homemade Game Cam Questions

razorhunter

Reaction score
Guys, I am new to this board, but I have probably chatted with many of you on various other boards.  
 I would really like to make my own Game trail camera, and I have been reading about the modifications on this web page.  
 I have seen that the Canon Sure Shot Owl camera, and the Olympus Infinity Jr are the two models that can be used.  At least those are the only two I see instructions for.  Where is a good place to get one of these cameras?  Wal-Mart?
 Do you guys suggest either one, or is one better than the other?
 Also, I'm not quite sure if I want to take on this project by myself.  I do know how to solder, but there are just too many quesions I have from just reading about the project on the net.  I believe I read somewhere that Spectre?,  I guess will do it for a fee?  I could really use some help on getting started and what I will need.  I am not sure I saw a parts list.  Thanks guys for any help.  This looks like a great site!

Bob R

Reaction score
Paul,

I have built about 10 (2 for myself, the rest for friends), and use the Canon Owl PF.  In my area, (NE Ark), I used to be able to get the cameras at Wal-Mart, but they quit carrying them.  Now our local K Mart has them for $49.99.  As for the parts, just print out the info on the camera's and the sersor that you are going to use, and the parts info is in it.  Look it over several times, and go for it.  I was real nervous the first time I tore into a camera, but just take your time, read the instructions over and over, follow them to the letter, and everything will work just fine.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Razor >> BOB R is right on the money. Don't be intimidated. Although I was and had Spec wire my first cam. After getting into them and doing it myself it really is easy. Read the instructions a couple times.

Target, Wal-mart, Service Merchandise, Eckard Drugs are the places I have seen the OWL PF. Usually for $49.00 with battery and one roll (12exp) film.

Good luck.

Applbit

Reaction score
I wasnt sure about doing it myself either but as soon as i got all the parts and took the camera and rs sensor apart it all seemed pretty simple.

Steve Jo

Reaction score
I am right in the middle of my fist one razor, and yes, there can be a ton of questions.  Make a parts list for the camera and sensor you are using.  I would start with the RS PIR, its a bit more spendy but easier to modify, and dont mess with soldering to pin 2 on the chip, it didnt work for me and its easier to attach the relay to speaker wires for your first time.

Im actually building 2 of these at the same time, and it's not too hard.  just post your questions as they arise, the folks here are great about lending a hand.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom