Hornady 150 gr SST Light Mag.

jvle95

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on the Hornady 150 gr SST LM round for an elk hunt. I used this round on an antelope hunt and loved it but that was with a different rifle. I will be using a Tkka T3 Lite in 30 06 and was thinking the 165 gr SST LM was going to be my round but after looking at the ballistics again the 150 SST LM seems plenty adequate. I have heard over and over how 165's seem to shot better more often than lighter rounds from 06's but I have yet to try the 165's. What do you think? Anyone have any first hand knowledge with the T3 and these rounds?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
The SST is way too frangible for elk. Especially at 150 gr light mag speeds. You may not get the penetration you need. If you like Hornaday use the 165 or 180 Interbond for elk. You want a stout bullet for elk and the SST is not it.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with SDHunter. Try the Interbonds or another “bonded” bullet.

Buy a box of 165 and 180 and see which one your gun like best.

jvle95

Reaction score
Thanks for those replies guys. I will be buying some Interbond 165's to try out. After posting on here I did some more searching and reading and your opinions seem to be the majority with others that I have read about.

rsolo

Reaction score
i have a t3 lite 30-06. If you're curious about federal premium. I shoot the fed premium 165gr barnes tsx. So far i've only shot a pig and paper with it. It passed through ~225lbs pig at about 125-150 yards. It shoots great out of my gun. I haven't tried the 180gr.

suavegato

Reaction score
I have the Tikka T-3 lite but in .270 I bought 5 boxes of different ammo to shoot before deciding on 1. what a difference in each one... I also have 2 identical Rem 700 BLD DM's in .25-06 & .30-06 that I shoot a lot as well. each one of my guns shoots a different type of factory ammo. The .30-06 is just dead nuts with the Hornandy LM stuff, 150 sst, 165 interbond and even the 180's. The .25-06 hates the stuff! I can't get under a 2.5" group with the Hornady LM in my .25-06? But it will dial in about 3/4" with Federal Premium. And believe it or not, I shot Fed prem, Win supreme, Hornady LM, Swift scirrocco and Rem core lokt out of my Tikka, best group, time after time BY FAR, the core lokt! Who'd-a thunk?

So I guess my point is, as others have siad, go with a bonded type bullet but try different manufactures to see which your gun likes... confidence in your shooting will go MUCH farther than what you think of the bullet, esp. if it's the right one for the job anyway! I took a 300+ pound mule deer last year with 130 grain Rem core lokt from a .270. I got about 65% weight retention and both shots were vital and the bullets wound up on the opposite side of the animal from the entrance, right at the hide. Shot placement is more important than bullet selection IMHO, but do both! get a good bullet, make sure you have tight groups and put it where it needs to be!

Good luck!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom