Hornady SST's

subfan

Reaction score
I was wondering what the general opinion was on the Hornady SSTs were. I need to come up with a load for AZ antelope. I will be shooting it out of a Knight Bighorn .50 cal. I was shooting conicals but want the longer range. Thoughts???

RandyWakeman

Reaction score
Most any sabot is going to give you more effective range than a conical.

A .40 / 50 220 gr. Dead Center will shoot faster and flatter than an SST 250, assuming the same powder charge.

oldsnow

Reaction score
I took 8 white tales last year, 3 at 200 yds. With 130 grs. of palletized Pyrodex and the 250 gr. SST's, out of a 50cal.T/C Encore.

Triple Se7en

Reaction score
My general opinion of the Hornady SST is that they're difficult to load but they do work well. Yes... the Dead Center is also a fine bullet. I prefer leaded.. so I'm more partial to the DC but for long distance using 120-150 grains of powder, the SST copper shield withstands the ride downrange a little better. But if you're like me & completely satisfied with 8-9" low at 200 yards using 105 FFF 777, lead bullets like the DCs, QTs, ERs, and Buffalo SSBs can't be beat. Buy the sister to the SSTs called the T/C Shockwaves that load/seat a little easier but not as easy as your typical 220 grain 40-cal Dead Center.

Mookie's Roost

Reaction score
I guess the Hornady SST to be a conial bullet and the dead center is a sabot am I right.I have no experance with different kinds of muzzleloading bullets.I shot my first deer this year with $79.00 Tradtions 50 cal. with 385 grains Hornady Great plains bullet with 90 grains of loose Select pyrodex.He dropped in his tracks.I know have a new Remington 50 Cal. with 26" barrel.I am mounting Leupold scope on it.The Leupold scope is a 2x7 shotgun scope. i am going to shop around for the best load.Bullet size does not matter to me I what a good accrurate round for deer,hogs and black bear.If any body as a idea for a load for my new gun let me know.Thanks

pappybill

Reaction score
subfan, my brother and nephew and i all shot deer last year with the 250gr. sst. we where well pleased with the results. we shoot 100gr. t7. they both shoot encores and i shoot a omega. groups real good at 75yds. and that is good enough for us p.a. hunters. happy hunting. muzzleloading is like life- you get one good shot pappybill

Top Bottom