Horse Protects Alpine Teen From Mountain Lion

bzzboyz

Reaction score
TheSanDiegoChannel.com
Horse Protects Alpine Teen From Mountain Lion
Boney Not Injured; Horse Suffers Minor Scratches
POSTED: 7:55 AM PDT July 20, 2004
UPDATED: 6:43 PM PDT July 20, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- Authorities warned Alpine-area residents Tuesday to beware of a mountain lion that threatened a teenage girl and her horse on a trail in the East County highland community.

Missy Boney, 17, was riding her horse, named Kalmar, Monday evening when a mountain lion confronted them on a trail in Rancho Pala Verde Estates, 10News reported.

"I'd have to rate it up there with the scariest thing in my life," Boney said. "It started lunging at us and (Kalmar) put his ears back, lunged back, pinned it to the ground with his front hoof and hit it with the other one."

Boney was not hurt and Kalmar got a few minor scratches.

Other residents said that they have seen a mountain lion in the area several times lately and that one attacked a pony two weeks ago.

Wardens with the state Department of Fish and Game are investigating and may declare the animal's presence a public threat

"That's what's concerning us right now is the amount of sightings. We were just out here (Monday) on another sighting," said Eric Fleet from the Department of Fish and Game.

Some neighbors in the exclusive Alpine horse community of Palos Verde Ranch said the animal looked like a large male cougar weighing close to 200 pounds.

Fish and Game officials said people have a right to protect their families and their property from wildlife, and if the cat threatens them, they can kill it.

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
The more scary death defying lion stories we hear, the better for us the hunters. I don't believe everything I hear from those city raised flower children anyways, but it's helping our cause that's for sure.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
I have to agree onecoyote, but as long as they are only killing people I doubt anything to reverse the current laws will happen. I bet we will see more results if they kill a few high dollar horses.

larrysogla

Reaction score
This nutsy, misguided Bambi lovers have turned wildlife management into a downright dangerous situation where these pumas have no fear of people. Large carnivores need to be taught the fear from "man", otherwise we are just another lunch to them. Hunting them is the best way to instill that fear in them. Oh well!!!
These animal cartoons with unrealistic depictions of dangerous predators as "people friendly" are the main culprits!!!
By the way, Onecoyote, done any 'yote harvesting in your new digs, "the Land of Enchantment", New Mexico???? I am curious to know as to how you would compare it to Calif.
God Bless. larrysogla.

pbrdog

Reaction score
This cat was in a buddy of mine's yard. The horses are coralled next door. wow.

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Kinda of simple, if you move into lion country, you just put all your animals in the food chain and nowadays that includes humans lol.

Larrysogla, I have not had a chance to go coyote hunting yet. They say they have alot of coyotes, I havent seen it yet. Alot of coyotes to them may not be alot to me lol. Who knows, time well tell.

BDB

Reaction score
Missy Boney ????? That's gotta be a fun name for a high school girl to have

Latest Posts

Top Bottom