Horseback Coyotes

Rimrock

Reaction score
This morning I went to one of the ranches I hunt to help do a little cowboy work. Made three calling stands just after daylight. Saw one coyote at 7 or 8 hundred yards but it was not interested in my calling. (Songdog, I need more lessons.)
After we saddled up I saw three while riding. One was probably in Mexico before noon. The other two just fooled around within easy rifle range for a long time. They may have had a den nearby. Maybe I need a real short rifle that wouldn't get in the way while working cattle.

Play fair.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've never hunted yotes from a horse Rimrock, sounds like fun. Seems them yotes are like crows, they know when it's safe to come out and play and when to lay low.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Rimrock,

Sure would be great to be able to pick them off from the horse.  Would your horse allow that without planting you?  My family has had horses for years (I never really took to them) and it seems like backfires, firecrackers, etc. spook them really easy.

Regards,
Paul

Rimrock

Reaction score
I didn't mean to give the impression we were hunting on horseback. We were working cattle. I have seen a lot of coyotes while riding, but i don't usually carry a rifle. The stock is in the way if an animal has to be roped and doctored. I have had horses go down with me a few times (usually at speed) and had I been toting a rifle I would have probably been in the market for a new one.

No, I wouldn't shoot off a horse. Might be able to, just wouldn't. I have got off and shot a coyote while holding the reins. I don't know how those guys in the movies ever hit anything. It seem like a heaving, stomping horse makes the crosshairs look at a lot of country.

Heard about the fellow who rented a horse from a packer and asked if he could shoot off of him. "Sure," he was told. The fellow came back limping, dirty, and scratched up.
"You said I could shoot off this horse," he accused. "Right," said the packer, "but I sure wouldn't  try to shoot while on him."

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Not completely relevant, but if you wanted to work with guns around your horse, either from the saddle or from a rock nearby, you can find info on training him at this website http://www.cowboymountedshooting.com/

I have a Winchester Model 94 Trapper carbine in 30-30 that's specifically designed for saddle action.  It comes in just over the minimum legal length for a rifle, and would likely be well out of the way in a scabbard.

Top Bottom