Hot & Cold cameras

robNhood

Reaction score
I need to start building again.

With all of this movement...squirrels, leaves or what ever else is crawling around during the summer months, I think will  have to build an RS style cam.

The MS20 works great when the leaves are down and the squirrels are not active. During the summer it takes too many false pics.

How about a prettiest tree entry in the pic contest. I have bunches of them.

(Edited by robNhood at 1:25 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
I've used the MS20 for all of my cams and I've never had very many false pics. I might get 1 or 2 per roll - at the most, usually no false pics. I honestly can't remember the last one I got! On my cams with exposed sensor I use black tape to cut down the effectiveness and on the newer cams with the sensor mounted inside, i've been using a 1" hole for the lense. I really like the results I get with the MS20 but have to admit I've tried no others. Almost all of my setups have been in kinda heavy brush so the detection distance of the PIR hasn't affected any of the pics I get.
Having said all this I'm now working on a couple new cams and will be using the Lamson/GE 9V PIR. I like the idea of a small, disposable 9v battery that'll last a few months of on time (at least). The 12V gel's that i use on the MS20's are kind of a pain and without a battery meter on the cam I tend to lose track of what batteries need charged and which one's are ok for a couple more weeks.
I'm sure the RS pir is a good one, as other's have mentioned, but the local RS has none and I'm starting to get failed RS components on some of my boards. That, though, could be a result of the way I'm using/soldering/powering them.

jayber

Reaction score
The first cam I built was with a RS sensor, but I didn't like how I had to mount it.  It also seemed to give less detection distance than what I was looking for.  So, I started using the MS20 and am very satisfied with it for my configuration.  Now I have had instances where I've setup in a really shaded area on a hot day and gotten a half dozen false triggers, but I'm pretty confident that it was due to the shadows.  I've had the same camera in the same climate conditions, different location, with no false triggers.  Now, the woods I have my cams in is full of squirrels, not to mention many other critters.......and up until my last roll of film where I purposely mounted the camera high in a tree and aimed it downward, I had primarily gotten pictures of deer.  So, take it for what it's worth......I think it's just a matter of personal preference.  Good Luck!!

(Edited by jayber at 2:20 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
gizz & jayber - All I can say is, the early MS20s must have had better electronic components than the Wal*Mart version that we are getting now-a-days.

Welby

Reaction score
Some of those "false" pictures could be, as my experience has shown, animals moving in dense brush just beyond view of the camera.

I had a sequence of about four pictures once where the deer started setting off the MS20 a full two minutes before they actually stepped into the open to be seen.

Fubar

Reaction score
What about birds that fly by and trigger a pic? Would they be out of the field of view by the time the shutter snapped the pic?          Fubar

Buckoholic

Reaction score
I agree with Welby on the false pix. I have been using the RS PIR and have had a few falsies in my last two rolls. But I have noticed almost each time within a minute or 2 that my camera has taken another picture of an animal. I think the PIR can see more than the camera and triggers the picture before the animal moves in front of the camera. Also, the flash can't reach as far as the PIR so night falsies are more difficult to determine why it triggered.

feathermax

Reaction score
I have the RS PIR in 4 cams. One of the cams has taken a series of pictures with nothing but foliage and sunlight. It appears as though, at a certain time in the evening, the sunlight heats the leaves of a small tree and triggers the sensor.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom