How About a JHP Turkey Hunt?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How About a JHP Turkey Hunt? I'm good for every weekend except the April 10-12 Pig-O-Rama hunt.

We could try Fort Hunter Liggett but the pressure is pretty heavy and we wouldn't know what areas are open until the Wednesday before the weekend.

Another option would be the Las Padres NF near Santa Maria or further north. Lake Isabella area is another thought.

The spots I know here in Socal are pretty slim pickens but we could do a hunt here also. Like to keep it up on the coast or more north so some of the northern boys and girls can play too.

Last option would be one of you has an uncle with 2,000 acres willing to let us play there. Maybe get him drunk and have him agree to our plan. :boozin:

Any ideas?

foulshot

Reaction score
<font face="Book Antiqua">I'd be in for that. I know that down here in SanDiego that hunting pressure is pretty high also, and that would be a long way for some guys to make the trip.
Does anybody know an in to Corte Madera Ranch.  I've worked around there and spotted lots of birds.</font>

Maverick

Reaction score
I would have been up for that . I was going to go out scouting this weekend then remembered I have class all month in April. Really bits

EVAN III

Reaction score
     I would be up for it. I don't know squat about turkey hunting, but if any of you would be willin to take a new guy out and let him watch That would be cool. I would just like to see how it's done. ( in real life, I've seen all the shows, but you don't get to see the real hunt.)

EVAN III

MuskegJR

Reaction score
I would be up for any turkey hunt...just say when....can"t wait for opening day...
Los Padres National sounds real good

MuskegJR:band:

(Edited by MuskegJR at 10:28 pm on Mar. 12, 2002)

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I'd be in too.  That "get your uncle drunk and ask for access to his 2,000 acres plan" is a good one.  I am hunting opening day on a drunken Grandfather hunt.  Lets hope it goes well.

If JHP sets something up in Northern CA, count me in

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'm up for that too. I wish I could convince my uncle to let us on his ranch up by Santa Maria. He's got the whole ranch covered in vineyard now and his partners are a pretty snotty bunch. Boy I'd love to go back to that ranch. 20,000 acres is not a bad place at all to hunt. Had some great times out there!

Anyway, Los Padres sounds good to me.

(Edited by yotegetter at 4:31 pm on Mar. 13, 2002)

songdog

Reaction score
I've hunted outside of Santa Maria and near Lopez Lake the last 2-3 years and seen lots of birds in the Nat'l Forest.  Might find a few other hunters up there but I'm certainly up for it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about the 2nd week of the season, April 5-7? That or I can make the 4rth weekend April 19-21.

I haven't been up near Santa Maria a couple of years so anyone have any ideas of where to camp? I have some scouting reports from a couple people for some areas holding birds but we probably will need as many scouting reports as we can get.

Let's hold off naming areas since I don't want to show up and have others already set up. We can pick a campsite and then go over the areas we will hunt once we are there.  I know this sounds sneaky but if you publicize an area that's holding birds you can bet on having company.

TScottW99

Reaction score
dang where were all of ya'll when i was stationed out there?  of course i didn't even know what the internet was when i was there :smile-big-blue:

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've never turkey hunted, but I would be willing to be a receptive learner.

Jesse, thanks for the advice.  I am starting on putting together a collage of my own pictures for my website.

yotegetter

Reaction score
April 19-21 sounds good to me.

Hey Jesse, once you get some areas shoot me an email. I know some camping areas up by Santa Maria we can stay at.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
By th eway, I work near Livermore and drive throug some vineyards.  I must have seen at least 40 birds in a group the other day.  I was going to takme  apicture but there was to  much traffic.

Where is Santa Maria?

yotegetter

Reaction score
Bubba,

Santa Maria is about 70 miles north of Santa Barbara on the 101 and 10 miles south of Nipomo. It's about 60 if you take the San Marcos Pass through Lake Cachuma going north.

(Edited by yotegetter at 2:57 pm on Mar. 22, 2002)

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Hey Bubba,  I live in Pleasanton and I have seen bunches of birds in Livermore off Tesla Road.  Dont mind giving an exact spot since its all private anyway.  Nice to see those strutters though.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
yotegetter, what camping areas are you thinking of. I'm going to be up there that Friday and maybe we can meet at Lopez Lake and go from there.

I think we can post the camping spot, even a GPS coordinate, that way any late comers can still find us.

yotegetter

Reaction score
Hey Jesse,

Check your messenger.

The surrounding areas of Lopez Lake are pretty good too

(Edited by yotegetter at 3:32 pm on Mar. 15, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Songdog said he knew a place to camp in the NF just off Lopez Lake.

Songdog, can you look at this topozone map and give any UTM or LAT/LONG coordinates to where we'll camp? Or any forest road numbers?

Anybody been up there lately? How are the roads and what gates are locked?

Big Bubba Daddy

Reaction score
Gentleman, Jesse found me on another site’s board asking for info on hunting turkey in CA and invited me to check out this string.  The hunt sounds like a good time, and I would be interested in joining you all.  I will be opting to go about it the hard way as I enjoy traditional archery as my method of take.  Anyone else out there into archery?  If someone is taking the lead on this, please add me to your mailing list for any pertinent information.  I am in the Bay Area, so if anyone close by is looking to do some local hunts as well, please let me know.  On my way to Point Ryes this weekend to drool over the beautiful (and well protected and off limits) herds of Tully elk I came across a flock of turkeys just west of Kentfield on Sir Frances Drake Blvd. There were at least 4 trophy gobblers strutting around 20 or so hens and 10 or so jakes, all private land but it sure got my blood pumping!!!

Top Bottom