How are the crops in the IV?

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Just talked to one of my hunting buddies in the IV. He said wheat is being grown in big numbers out there, hope this makes the birds stay in the US.

Any local reports?????

sean english

Reaction score
what determines what crop is being cultivated?besides market price and the alternation of crops to keep the quality of the soil?

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I was down there this weekend and saw some melon fields and alfalfa - lots of alfalfa.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
There were no birds in the IV though a some alfalfa and a few melons and ground squirrels saw a few Border patrols agents too.

ML

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Mark those melon fields could be a 20 minute hunt. I have had some of the best dove shoots over melon fields.

foulshot

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, you guys know it's gonna rain 2 weeks before the season and all the birds will head south.....

Muddy Boots

Reaction score
Just got back from visiting my parents in Holtville 17 to 24 June. Here's what I saw and heard.
Lots of dove however very scattered due to the large amount of wheat planted in the Valley this year. A record according to the IV Press article from a month ago. They have just finished harvesting the wheat and a the melons are winding down. Those fields won't stay as it's pictured above. They are going to be plowed up and planted with sudan grass as the it's price is very high on it right now. That will be good for the pheasants as I didn't see one aspargas field when I was home. So they are going to have to use the sudan fields to hide in.
Some of those wheat fields might be planted for fall cantalopes and if you can find one of those fields for the second dove season you'll probably do good.
I saw tons of Eurasian doves in the cities. Not many mornings or whitewings in town like before. I really think they need to make the take of eurasian dove legal year round because I think it's affecting the native dove populations.
And like it was said above, if it rains just before the opener, it's a whole new ballgame.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Two weeks??????

Most of the time it's the week of, or day before.
Can't wait what ever happens.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not worried, I've got the Deluxe Magnum Dove Vortex Spinning Circus on order from Cabela's. This thing is guaranteed to suck in every dove off the power lines for 10 miles around. A real Hoover the salesman said.

hunt4geese

Reaction score
I was in cibola over the weekend there was more dove & quail than i have ever seen

Niland Boy

Reaction score
my brother farms around Niland he said that they got a little rain but there are still a lot of birds around Niland. there is a lot of wheat do the high price it is sold for this year. but it good for the bird hunting should be a good year down there!!!Wish i was there!!!

Larry

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I'm seeing more doves this year too in the 909. Today at Raahauges I watched dove sail over all day long.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Like the sounds of that!!!

Nice picture!!!!!!!!!

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I saw mostly Mourning Doves, but I did see quite a few White-winged and Euros too. Some of these mesquite trees had a 100 birds in them. It does get the blood pumping when you see this much game.........

Attachments

RickQU/DU

Reaction score
Good to hear some news haven't been on here much but the shells are reloaded and my boys are ready to test there skills again this year and were bringing a new hunter with us this year gonna be interesting to see how he does his first time out and if he can lead them lol.

Thanks for the reports guys!!

meatgetter

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MJB @ Jun 30 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mark those melon fields could be a 20 minute hunt. I have had some of the best dove shoots over melon fields.[/b]
My experience is the same. If you can find a field that has been plowed, but not re-topped/planted, you're on the right track.

Also, if plowed fields are unavailable, you might try to shoot over bell peppers. Great hunts there too.

See you all down south.

Niland Boy

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the weather in the Imperial Valley Look like RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
guys&gals, each and every season, the anticipation rains loud!

Get over it, for all of us that partake of the SE corner of this nation have it "MADE"

No where else in the nation, are the numbers of dove as they are in vast numbers, each and every year!

That said, don't expect to pull off your favorite highway from all parts unknown, and plop into massive flights!

It is required to do some homework, for gosh sake!

The blessing this season, is the fact, that the DFG, finally, saw the light, and made the Euro's limitless, and wow, what a blessing, there's lot's of them down there!

No where else in the nation can you manage a "trifecta" morning's, whitewings, and now, Euro's in a single shoot!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom