How do you carry your bow?

CC Lefty

Reaction score
In short, after 20 years of hunting I've decided to take up the bow. I've been practicing like mad and done a good bit of scouting, found my spot, but was wondering how you experienced guys carry a bow in the woods (i.e. sling, ready position, etc.)? No stand hunting here, just still hunting. Any information would help. Thanks in advance!

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Never at the ready postion unless you are close to game. This is a safety precaution as there have been accidents with hunters slipping and falling on their own arrows. Additionally, if you are stalking and still hunting you should see you quarry long before you need to be nocking an arrow for the shot. Plus the arrow gets in the way while trying to slip through the brush.

On the long walk to an area a nice sling that can be folded up and put in a pack is a real plus. Keeps you from having one arm longer than the other after the season. LOL LOL During that close in but not ready for the shot just hold it in bow hand upside down and it should move easily through the brush until it is time to introduce your game to the feel of the ground . . .

Good luck.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have tried a few different slings, on my pack, and my own zekemods.

Here is what I have found, I don't really like the slings, if I am going to have it in a position to move quicker and cover more ground, in an area I don't expect to see game, or before and after shooting light, it is easer to move with the bow on my pack. Some slings are good but just not for me, my dad likes his primos sling, it is the only one that protects the string that I am aware of.

I keep a "third hand" bow hook, third hand is the manufacturer, that I keep on my left side backpack strap on my Crooked horn trailblazer day pack, when I carry my black creek "Canadian" pack I just found the "crooked horn" bow hook to work like a charm. Both the rigged third hand and crooked horn bow hook keep the bow under my left arm, I am right handed, and I can glass and move good like that, but can get the bow ready in under a second.

But if you are in an area you expect to see game, aka still hunting, I have the bow in my hand, but never a arrow on the string unless I am in the kill zone, like posted above, that is dangerous, and noisy.

Good luck, try some stuff and see what works for you.

But the best thing, which I will test in less than a month, is getting One Track to carry my bow for me, you know, cause I got to hump out that boned out bohemoth bear.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I have a sling from CAG, works great....THe PRIMOS sling is a notehr good one that I've looked at....

Buck-eye

Reaction score
SDHNTR gave me the Tarantula bow hook. It is okay for longer treks, but you still have to use your hand to keep the bow from rocking back and forth. Cabelas has a backpack that will hold your bow, but it is not ready available if you walk up on unsuspecting game. Mostly I just carry it across the front, like I was carrying school books. I knock an arrow if I feel I am close to game, and that is that.

CC Lefty

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into some of these suggestions.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
If i'm hunting, i always have my bow in hand w/ an arrow knocked......but when i stop to glass, the small bow holder on my waist pack does the trick. It works even w/ an arrow knocked as the broadhead will be just above ground level.

For hiking in before the opener, it's on my pack. If going in via horseback, Primos sling.

Top Bottom