How do you secure your cams

davered1

Reaction score
Due to the loss of 1 of my cameras I thought I would start this thread to get some different ideas on how people lock there cams to trees.

I use ammo cans for containers due to bears and theft(apparently not 100%),then i drill a 1/4" hole in each side of ammo can half way.The side with the latch I use a eye bolt so that when the latch comes down the hole in latch goes over top the eye bolt.The other side I bolt direct to chain with large washers and a lock nut,that way if they have a wrench with them they only get about 1 turn and nut just spins with bolt Then just wrap chain around tree and lock chain to eye bolt.

How does yours work ?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Don't have the bear problem here. Mine are just hobby box with a bungee cord. Theft would be easy. But hard or easy a lost cam is a lost cam.

jayber

Reaction score
I would use a hardened chain if I were to use one.  If not, they could just cut through it pretty easy.  Then again, if they really want it they'll find a way.  If they get pissed then they'll just try destroying it.

davered1

Reaction score
JAYBER,

I would rather they wreck it than steal it ,at least then I would know they weren't using MY camera.

horndog

Reaction score
I use an ammo can also. I built a wood shelf on the inside so each component has its own compartment...(battery has its own place with wood on 3 sides, prevents it from moving, PIR has wood on 3 sides and the cam sits on a shelf about 2 inches off the bottom of ammo box with wood on 3 sides) I screwed 2 eye bolts thru the ammo can into the wood, use 2 quick links (not sure if thats what they are called but they look like a chain link that the center can be unthreaded to open up the link) 2 pieces of logging chain and a padlock for the chain. When you have pressure on the chain, the quick links can be unthreaded but you cannot pull the chain off of them. I have a clasp on the lid of the can and it is also screwed into the wood but you can't see the screws when it is closed so nobody can unscrew the clasp.

glen71

Reaction score
I haven't quite finished mine yet, but here is what I plan to do. I'm using a Hoffman NEMA 3R electrical box. It has (4) mounting holes in the back of the box. With (almost) no trees where I hunt, I plan to attach the cam to a steel fence post driven 3' into the ground. I will weld a mounting plate to the post with four bolts welded to the plate. The nuts will be inside the box and the door has a lockable latch. When padlocked, the box will have to be destroyed, the post pulled up, or the lock cut off to get the cam. The primary risk, I think, will be from an illegal alien thinking it's a Border Patrol surveilance cam and bashing in the lenses.

bigmandude

Reaction score
i'm a bungee man too, i figure what comes around goes around eventually.

troll

Reaction score
Right now, I use a heavy chain.  However, it's bulky, noisy, and shiny so I would like to put one of those tree stand cables on.  

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I use a pelican 1120 box, I put a rubber coated steel cable (like a bicylce chain) through the handle of the pelican, I wrap it around several times and use a good sesamee combination lock, with a lock on each of the lid holes (to keep someone from stealing just the camera). I guess it will just keep the honest guys honest, but the jerks that want the camera bad enough will come back with bolt cutters, or just tear the plastic handle from the pelican box. It really sucks that you have to worry about such things!!I don't even have any camera's out right now, because on the posted property I hunt on, I have already seen three seperate guys this week alone (hunting without permission). Good Luck to you, keep us posted on any ideas you come up with for securing your camera.

jayber

Reaction score
I came up with an idea for a 'Cam Club' for mine.  Just need to find the time to develop it.......Maybe you'll see it on an infomercial someday!!!  Think it would sell???   LMAO

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Maybe what we need is the BMDFC (BigManDude Flash Capaciter)
When someone touch's it they get popped. :hair-raisin:
A switch could enable/disable plus you could get a good picture in the process.:bgaqua:

big tom

Reaction score
I use a green, plastic coated chain available at Home Depot, and locked together with a small lock, but man, is it hard to get it tight around a tree trunk.  I wish I could rig a rachet to the chain, but haven't figure out how.  Any one have any thoughts?

coyote

Reaction score
We all run this risk. I built my own steel housings a weld the chain to one end and a heavy hasp on the other.[I believe my cam pic is still in the homebuilt examples on this site]
My friend lost his cam too.  Bungies.
The problem is if it gets a pic of someone that's not sposeta be there....he takes the evidence.  I can handle the cam stolen just send me the roll of film...grin...yoteee'

Latest Posts

Top Bottom