How do you use deer scent?

Drayton

Reaction score
I tried Jackie's deer lure Hot Doe last season with good results. But I was wondering how other hunters who hunt archery season thru gun season use scent lures. I have read that "deer in heat" scents will alarm bucks if used too early. What is every one using before, during and after the rut?
Drayton

woodsman

Reaction score
I try to use an all season urine,Non Estrus lure .
also try apple juce in a scent dripper.

marmot

Reaction score
I've tried every scent imaginable during my 40 years of whitetail hunting without any conclusive results.

I did try Jackie's the last two years and the first year I had two bucks within 20 yards. Were they drawn in by the lure or just running their scrape lines?

Where is the CONCLUSIVE scientific proof that any of it works, what brands and blends are most affective during what periods. Considering the millions of "BUCKS" we spend trying to charm "bucks", the scent industry owes us some solid data........and I don't mean a deer head hanging on the wall, I'm not quite as gullible as the Outdoor Channel would like to believe.

One thing I do believe about scent is that Jackie and some others try their best to provide a quality product and I don't mean to bad mouth them but we are being totally duped by others.

hclaus

Reaction score
i hope through the years to prove myself to be in the company of those that are trying to provide a quality product.

I do have to agree with you that some of the companies are duping people, although basically on the price, and not the urine.

i hope i havent given anyone reason to think i am trying to dupe anyone.

a few years ago i was one of the ones being duped.

I know my products come from a quality supplier who has been in the business for over 20 years. He didnt last that long without supplying good products.

and i surely dont want to argue or accuse.

thanks,
Hunter Claus

(Edited by hclaus at 12:46 pm on May 26, 2002)

Drayton

Reaction score
:surprised-purple: I was not intending to get folks bad mouthing deer scent makers, only some advise as to how scents have been used effectively. One of the books I read said that doe in heat or Estrus will spook bucks.

What has worked for early archery season may not work durring rifle season. I hunt it all but smoke pole season ( but thats another thing to get into; maybe next year :bounce-aqua What scents have you used with success?

Thanks Woodsman, I will give the apple juice a try.

Arkhunter

Reaction score
Ive had the same luck as marmot on the scents Ive tried.

I just stick to scent eliminators and cover scents anymore.

Top Bottom