How does flash affect deer?

Zeke

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wanting to build a trail cam and was wondering if the flash affects the deer in any way? Does it spook them?  Thanks.

upnorthunter

Inactive
Reaction score
So far the flash really hasn't affected the deer by me.  If you look at an earlier post (second roll of film...wow)  I got 4 pictures of that big boy without him leaving.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
I have not seen any evidence of the camera flash spooking the deer, if anything the relay clicking might make some of them a little jumpy but more times than not, the deer are still there for the second photo shot! To take it one step further, I built a varmint feeder light, exactly the same as a trail cam but with a 12 volt track light instead of the camera. I mounted this directly above the trail cam so I could see if the flood light comming on for 2 minutes would spook the deer and hogs. It not only did not spook the game but made the pictures come out even better at night due to more lighting in the area! I did not put colored lens on the light either, just left it stock.

Possum

Reaction score
Deer- No.  Raccoons and fox-yes.  The deer will be curious, especially the young ones.  The coons and fox, based on date/time values spook quickly and do not come back for a while.  All of these observations were made over corn piles.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Deer sometimes will spook and sometimes they'll come up and stick their nose right in the camera.

This fox is about 3 feet up in the air and going sideways, talk about wound too tight.

Here he is sneaking back in to see what goosed him. Got 2 pics of him sneaking in so he got an eyefull of the PF flash.

gizz

Reaction score
Agree with all the responses. Some of the older buck I've gotten I seem to only get one pick then they're gone. Although they seem to return to the cam location on another day. The doe seem to like it and will sometimes stand there and use up all the pics!!

LW

Reaction score
I set my cam about 70 yards from my deer stand on the far end of a shooting lane a couple weeks ago to see what deer was crossing just at dark. I could make out shapes but not enought light to tell if they had horns even with a scope.., until they tripped the cam, in the flash I saw a big doe and a yearling, both jumped straight up then took off, but quickly returned, a little skiddish they moved toward the cam and tripped it again, this time ran a short way and returned quickly. The big doe cautiously approached with the little one in tow, Bam! flashed again, this time they only flinched and resumed feeding, I suspect they would have consumed the roll if I hadn't bumped the side of the stand with the butt of my gun to move them along before I got down. Below is a pic of a spike that just couldn't get enough!

(Edited by LW at 7:51 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

(Edited by LW at 7:52 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

Zeke

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. That last pic by LW amazes me. With the way deer are, always watching, smelling and listening, then come up to a flash like that. Seems like it would make them jump out of their skin. I cant wait till I get mine built!  Z

wapiti

Reaction score
I had a cam set up just behind my stand.  A nice buck came and walked by it, he never flinched as the cam went off.  Just kept on walking......until he met my arrow.

StringShooter

Reaction score
I have deer that will stare right into the camera and smile if they could. Then, I have deer that will throw up the flag and get out of dodge in a hurry.

The jury is still out on this issue.

It's a love and hate relationship.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
LW

I just noticed how "In Focus" your deer close up is, did you expose the Focus sensors in your enclosure setup????

Tinhorn

Bowfever

Reaction score
I have had young deer put their nose on the cam and this big boy took 8 pics of himself before leaving he is about 6 feet from the cam and does not look spooked.  this is about picture number 5.

Bowfever

StringShooter

Reaction score
Bowfever,
I wouldn't be afraid either if I was that big & burley.
Thats a nice buck!

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I think the little ones are curious about it, but not scared.

LW

Reaction score
Tinhorn,
My cam is a Samsung Maxima 22s auto-focus, (Trail Timer PH3500) setup, I am a novice, this is my first cam,  until I found this forum I didn't know you could build your own.
I have been pleased with the results however, good pictures night and daytime on Wal-Mart Fugi 400, I did try Polaroid 400 with poor results, a brown color cast on night and poor color on day pics.  

StringShooter

Reaction score
Arrowhead,
That's a nice display you have of the fawn. It is getting that stomp down pat already by looking at the last pic.

Nice pics.

Fubar

Reaction score
Arrowhead  Those are great pics of the fawn.  Thanx   Fubar

kuff

Reaction score
Hasn't seemed to bother them in my area.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom